Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Suggestions for Tuning TMAT

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Suggestions for Tuning TMAT

Hi all, I've been running the TMAT for a couple of months now. I have an '07 Fatboy with SEAC and V&H Big Shot Staggered exhaust. I started with map #523 as it seemed to be the closest to my configuration. I've been letting it tune, and it seems in some respects to be getting closer while other aspects seem to be getting further away. In particular, I get some pinging when rolling on the throttle from 3rd gear on.

Anyway, we trailered the bikes up to Madera last weekend and went for a 250 mile ride up to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National parks, and spent probably 100 miles up at altitude over 7000 feet. Should I erase the last set of learned offsets or write them out? I had opened the min and max learning offset values up, so I'm not sure how valuable or negative those values might impact my tuning for normal riding, as I live and ride in Southern California at "normal" altitudes. Given that I'm still facing challenges getting the tuning right in the first place, I'm trying to let it tune as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Roger

Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Roger: I've followed your posts and feel you are ahead of me in tuning knowledge so not sure if I can help or not. At 7000 ft your engine will be gutless compared to lower levels and I suspect your roll on ping is due to a little too much advance. On my map 401 I had to drop 1 degree in the 2500-3000 and 2 degrees further up. I believe I capped the max to 28. Cured it on all but the stupid hot days. Final fix was to use the 523 afr maps from 2816 rpm on up to 5888 and change my maps to those values. Totally cured the problem, and as far as performance, just raced a CVO 95" and in forth and fifth we were equal. Considering he has better cams, I can't complain.
As for the offsets, it will relearn faster from where it is than starting over, and backing the timing off is a simple live edit and ride thing. I'm still playing catch up with all this, so it may not be the answer you are looking for.
Ron

Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TMax

Roger-I have not been following any of your thread. I went to the TMax site and looked at the map 523. The notes say that this map has been leaned...You may want to save this map and try map #401 to see if it will make your pinging in third gear go away.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rbabos
Roger: I've followed your posts and feel you are ahead of me in tuning knowledge so not sure if I can help or not. At 7000 ft your engine will be gutless compared to lower levels and I suspect your roll on ping is due to a little too much advance. On my map 401 I had to drop 1 degree in the 2500-3000 and 2 degrees further up. I believe I capped the max to 28. Cured it on all but the stupid hot days. Final fix was to use the 523 afr maps from 2816 rpm on up to 5888 and change my maps to those values. Totally cured the problem, and as far as performance, just raced a CVO 95" and in forth and fifth we were equal. Considering he has better cams, I can't complain.
As for the offsets, it will relearn faster from where it is than starting over, and backing the timing off is a simple live edit and ride thing. I'm still playing catch up with all this, so it may not be the answer you are looking for.
Ron
Thanks for the input Ron. I've seen several of your posts, and you seem to be pretty knowledgeable and studious.

It was certainly lacking power up at elevation, but actually ran surprisingly well for being oxygen-starved. Based on your input, and that of Steelknee, I will save write and clear out the offsets to my current map, then load #401 and try it out. I can then decide whether to use that one or revert back to my current map and start tweaking the timing a bit. Thanks for providing the levels and ranges that worked for you, as it gives a good starting point if that is what I end up having to do.

I want to get it out and do some logging, so I'll have to bite the bullet and modify the connector so I can fit it under the seat. I think the logging will reveal the missing information, just haven't been able to take the time to carefully modify my cable and hook up.

Thanks to you both for your input!
Roger

Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

523 is richer than 401 in the area of 3000 rpm. Trust me, you won't like 401 if you have problems now. 523 is slightly leaner at the begining but richens sooner than 401. 523 throttle position 28.606 afr is 13.542 and gets richer from there.
401 at 28.606 is 13.716 and maintains this until throttle position of 37.188. Now 523 is leaner from 2560 rpm to idle, and if this is where you have the ping, wouldn't hurt to make the map look like 2816 rpm map.
From what playing I've done it seems that lean will give good economy and setting the afr flatline to a persons normal cruise rpm will do that. However, my drop into richness has been set just slightly above my cruise rpm. That way there is no lean spot when rolling it on heavy. The canned 401 while worked great in cooler weather kept me lean too far up the rpms in high load in hot weather to avoid pining. Basically I took what was good in 401 and 523 and mixed it up and quite possibly got that elusive economy/power at the same time.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 08-06-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I E-mailed the T-Max tech with my mods and he told me to go with the 403 map, I don't think my bike could run any better than it does .

Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rbabos
523 is richer than 401 in the area of 3000 rpm. Trust me, you won't like 401 if you have problems now. 523 is slightly leaner at the begining but richens sooner than 401.
That's why I picked 523, as I figured it would be a decent economical map to start with and I'm not as concerned with power as I am with mileage... it's an HD, not a rice rocket (had those back in the day).

I'll have to hook up and get some logging, then re-read your input and see how that may apply to my configuration. Thanks Ron!

Paul - 403 was designed for stock pipes, so I had filtered it out. I may try it just for grins and giggles - couldn't hurt since I have the Autotune. Thanks for your input!

Roger

Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats why I E-mailed the tech, I couldn't find my map,I told him I had the V/H W/Powerchamber and he told me it would do it and it did. Good luck.