Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

key fob, does it do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
ChurchKey77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key fob, does it do anything?

Hi there,
&nbsp\\;
I have a 07 softail springer classic.... and love it.&nbsp\\; Recently i went for a ride and forgot to bring the key fob with me. The bike started, ran, I stopped at my lunch spot ate, got back on and it fired right up.&nbsp\\; I don't see any need for this hunk of plastic to be in my pocket if it doesn't stop anyone from starting and riding my bike.
&nbsp\\;
Is it possible that this security feature is turned off on my bike? Is something broke, or is this normal?
&nbsp\\;
thanks for any input...
&nbsp\\;
Shannon

Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
bezoar
Tourer
Default RE: key fob, does it do anything?

Without mine, I just stand there and make motorcycle soundsvrooom,vrooom. I think you thingy is broken.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bezoar

Without mine, I just stand there and make motorcycle soundsvrooom,vrooom. I think you thingy is broken.
bezoar, could you break that down into layman's terms please?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
bezoar
Tourer

Uh, OK. Ahhhhhhhhh, well the plastic thing that has the signal thing in it is not doing the thing that the thing is supposed to. I hope I made that clear enough for all you illiterate biker types. Now don't make me repeat myself or I just might.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
ChurchKey77
Intermediate

So if&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;there is no dissabling feature on the security system, which would allow you to start the bike without the key fob. Then with that ruled out, then it must just have been a junk security system in the first place... since I don't need the fobs sorry ("thingys")&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to start the bike.

This would tell me that the fobs aren't the problem, that the sending unit on the security system is not working properly....

Has anyone run into this same problem and or&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;uninstalled their "security system" all together?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:23 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Sounds as though your security system is deactivated. Get the manual, or do a search here, and find out how to test it or reactivate it. I know I have seen posts on this issue in the past, should not be hard to find information on the subject.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess one question would be do you know where both fobs are? You only need one of them to run the bike and if the second one is on the bike then you do not need to carry the other one. The other thing is do you see a little red key shaped light flashing when the bike is parked. If not then the security system is deactivated. You should set the security code on the security system. That allows you to operate the bike without the fob by deactivating the system. If you do not change it from the default then anyone that knows the default need not carry the fob either.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Default Fob

Armed: If your alarm is activated the red key icon in the speedometer blinks approximately every 3 seconds.

Disarmed: After the ignition/headlamp switch is turned to ignition and the system disarms, the key icon will remain illuminated for approximately four seconds and then turn off.

Service: A key icon that remains illuminated longer than four seconds indicates that service of the module is required.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
007 ultra
Tourer

My 07 Ultra starts always without the key fob. I leave them at home and use the key w/out the big platic fob.

The dealer said I could just toss the fobs.

Apparently my 07 does NOT have the security system which is an option isn't it?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ChurchKey77
So if there is no dissabling feature on the security system, which would allow you to start the bike without the key fob. Then with that ruled out, then it must just have been a junk security system in the first place... since I don't need the fobs sorry ("thingys") to start the bike.

This would tell me that the fobs aren't the problem, that the sending unit on the security system is not working properly....

Has anyone run into this same problem and or uninstalled their "security system" all together?
Well, now that the forums are back to normal... I tried to reply to your post, but it was a bad day and never was able to get my response to take.

Is this still an issue with you? As was subsequently stated, there is a sequence to disable the security feature. It was unclear whether the FOB ever worked properly (you situation changed), or whether you just noticed it (had been disabled/inactive all along)?

Let us know if this is still an issue, or whether you have found your solution?

Roger

Quick Reply: key fob, does it do anything?