Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Tuning 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SERT Tuning 1

I have an 08 FatBob w/a J.E.T. AC and Rush Slipons w/two inch baffles. Using the SERT I uploaded a map that is close to my config&nbsp\\; making a few minor tweaks, lowered the idle a bit, set the bias table to .750, and minor adjustment to fuel on decal to reduce deceleration popping. The bike seems to be running pretty good, but you know it’s difficult to compare to how it was.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Default SERT Tuning 2

Now, I got to thinking a bit. If I take my bike to an HD dealer and he puts it on a dyno to tune it, he really can only tune to ensure that it is running the best it can w/the current config within EPA requirements. If he were to really tune for performance, then he would be violating EPA regs and exposing himself and the dealership to fines and other problems. So my best bet performance wise would be an independent tuner. Am I correct in this?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: SERT Tuning 2

One other thing I had considered is this, the table I loaded had the 14.6 values and so is running the bike in closed loop mode. So, how is this map much different from the factory map? There could only be rather minor differences. Seems to me the biggest differences would be in the VE table.
&nbsp\\;
Anyone care to comment on these thoughts?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mainly changed the ve of the engine so the biggest changes would be in the ve tables. You are loading a bigger charge into the cylinders so detonation is potentially a bigger problem so I would expect the advance to be retarded a bit to compensate. They built the map for HD parts so they are likely a bit more agressive on the fueling to aid in customer satisfaction.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Generally tuning for max power is done at wot. It is hard to imagine that epa regulations are much of a constraint on power at wot. I do not really know though. Perhaps someone that knows what constraints the epa places on a tuner could enlighten us since it is a common theme.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 AM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SERT Tuning 1

ORIGINAL: jluvs2ride
&nbsp\\;set the bias table to .750, and minor adjustment to fuel on decal to reduce deceleration popping.
So you left the AFR settings alone and changed ALL settings in the Closed Loop Bias table to 750? The minor adjustment to fuel. This was in the Decel Enleanment table? Higher or lower? How much?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

I selected all values in the decel Enleanment table and bumped them once by the smallest amount.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Ok, now I have recorded some data and compared VE New to VE on both cylinders. VE New I assume is what is actually being reported by the Narrow band O2 Sensors. So should I make adjustments to&nbsp\\;the VE table to bring it closer to the values being reported?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I just put the high flow filter on my bike so I have not had a chance to play with a map. I would suggest you start by trying to rebuild the ve table since you can check that for accuracy. There are some limitations to the logging and that will help demonstrate that point. The biggest advantage of a dyno for doing this calibration is the ability to create controlled test conditions. Wideband O2 sensors help even more. Without actually experimenting with it I cannot say more though.