Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sert install. dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
eaheritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sert install. dyno

i have a 04 heritage,se11s, se air filter, and sert old one,,&nbsp\\; asked service writer&nbsp\\; Docs 5 questions the seem to agree the should be adressed so went with it.&nbsp\\; the were supposed to give me all prinable results , long story short dyno guy went home before i got off work so nobody could get in dyno room or computer..&nbsp\\; ,,,,,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; end results the are going to get them tommorrow...&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; the one dyno sheet i got tonight says&nbsp\\; max power=83.31&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; max torque =&nbsp\\; 87.48&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; according to my speedo he put on 23 miles. chged me 3.0 hrs. 298.00,&nbsp\\; 10.00 shop supplies,, total 308.00&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; these dyno numbers seem high to me,, bike seems to run better and stronger..&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; would appreciate feedback&nbsp\\; thanks,,,,,

Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: sert install. dyno

Smells a bit funny to me. First the horsepower seems unlikely begging the question of whose bike that dyno is for. Second they did not do as they said they would and have what sounds like bs excuses for not having it. I would insist on the actual files from all the dyno runs. You can download WinPEP from the DynoJet site to view them. First though is the number of files and timestamps on them.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

There should be clusters of files by time. They should have done a series of runs at various throttle positions concentrating on low throttle positions where you spend most of your time. Once they collect those they shut down the bike and work on correcting the ve tables. Once they think they have that they will download the new map onto the bike and run through the tests again. They should set the afr to one value across the board and record the afr with the dyno run. If they did not record the afr then that begs the question of how they verified the delivered afr was the requested afr.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

They may not have commented the intermediate files. You can sequence the throttle positions by the torque at a given rpm. The higher the throttle position the greater the torque. You should generally see the torque curve get smoother as they correct the afr by adjusting the ve tables. How many times they have to repeat that process depends upon skill and experience. About anyone should be able to do it given enough time but they don't have unlimited time.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Once the ve tables are calibrated the delivered afr should be the requested afr. So then they can set the fueling and timing. As near as I can tell the timing is a tedious process. So off wot I would not expect much more than avoiding detonations. At wot timing is the main way to increase torque. There should be some runs off wot to check drivability and verify detonation is not a potential problem. The should finish with a series of runs as they try to adjust the timing to maximize torque at wot.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:24 PM
eaheritage
Tourer

thanks for the reply,,worked to late today to deal with any thing . im going to stray on them.&nbsp\\; took a after supper ride, no&nbsp\\; sputtering just solid, steady power , but 83 hp i dont think so..

Old 08-01-2008, 12:38 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

That dyno could be an honest mistake due to bad record keeping. I think how it feels and runs is the most important thing. The dyno runs are interesting for understanding what is involved. They can provide a guide for road tests to see if you can feel what you see. The most important is the map itself since you need that if want to change your fueling or such down the road. Considering the time and price I would not expect a full tune but they may have done all that is of practical value to you.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:37 PM
eaheritage
Tourer

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; i had a 95' big bore in05 heritage, se11s, se air , race tuner. that dynoed at 80hp,,,90 torque,,,&nbsp\\; so this is questionable&nbsp\\; isuppose yes there could be a mistake..&nbsp\\; anyway im going to check it out some more&nbsp\\; just curious. also im tying to learn as much as this old thick skull can absorb&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\; thanks&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; again

Old 08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
eaheritage
Tourer

&nbsp\\; i finally talked to the dyno guy, he assured me my print out was correct 83hp is correct.&nbsp\\; so adding the race tuner and dyno time,, i went from14+ afr to 13+ i gained about 1 hp.. bike does run better,,,&nbsp\\; im done&nbsp\\; with my tuning .&nbsp\\; i think i did ok