Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax vs Daytona Twin Tec?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thundermax vs Daytona Twin Tec?

Anyone know the differences between these similar units?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thundermax vs Daytona Twin Tec?

The main difference is that the TMAX uses rpm/tps for both fuel and timing tables.

The DTT uses rpm/tps for fuel, rpm/MAP for timing. I feel this is the better setup.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: glens

The main difference is that the TMAX uses rpm/tps for both fuel and timing tables.

The DTT uses rpm/tps for fuel, rpm/MAP for timing. I feel this is the better setup.
&nbsp\\;
ok... so i found MAP is "manifold air pressure"
&nbsp\\;
i am guessing that you you feel rpm/MAP is better for timing because it more realistically represents engine loading under throttle?
&nbsp\\;
thanks for response btw

Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

any other input from those that know? i want to learn. thought i was decided on tmax but i want to know more about both before investing

Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

how about the software? maps charts and graphs? user friendliness? it kinda looks to me like the Daytona Twin Tec unit creates 3D maps. the Tmax does not... that i know of anyways. is there much more analytical advantage to the 3 dimension maps?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

My only experience with either package is via researching their documentation. I like the idea of using MAP for timing. I also get the idea that for most folks the software would be more friendly with the TMAX, but I use unix, not Windows, so my idea of friendly is entirely different. DTT seems as though it is more unixy than TMAX in their thinking. That, as much as the timing treatment is why I would go with the DTT. It is maybe why you would want to go with TMAX. Have heard some chatter about difficulty with pinging on TMAX, though...

Old 07-17-2008, 03:22 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some maps have too much advanced timing for hot humid weather and need to be tuned to those conditions.
Ron

Old 07-19-2008, 08:45 AM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Some maps have too much advanced timing for hot humid weather and need to be tuned to those conditions.
Ron
aint there an outside air temp sensor somewhere on the bike that should account for that to the ECM?

Old 07-19-2008, 03:42 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

The wide-band O2 sensors can always let the system make the fueling match what you wanted in both systems, regardless the current atmospheric environment. I do not know if there are issues with varying temperatures/etc. with the timing on the DTT. It gets discussed much less here than the TMax. Probably because DTT seems more geeky of the two and the general audience here tends towards wanting plug-n-play Windows-style type of stuff, which the TMax seems to offer them.

As I understand it, it is easier to do more fine-grained stuff with the DTT, but doing it is generally considered harder. Just like with unix. Most folks like fewer, less-confusing options.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: trafficjams

ORIGINAL: glens

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
ok... so i found MAP is "manifold air pressure"
i am guessing that you you feel rpm/MAP is better for timing because it more realistically represents engine loading under throttle?
thanks for response btw
I've been reading the Daytona Twin Tec (DTT) litterature. I cannot find within it any place that states it uses MAP for timing. Actually, it seems to state the contrary. It says it uses "alpha-n" (throttle position and rpm based) and that alpha-n "eliminates any dependence on manifold pressure..."

Quick Reply: Thundermax vs Daytona Twin Tec?