Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

speedo problems! dont think its a sensor though

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default speedo problems! dont think its a sensor though

hey guys. im having quite the problem right now. after doing some work on my new handlebars this past winter. ive developed a speedo problem. I also installed chrome midframe covers that required moving the main wire harness a bit to install a screw. And 25 miles into my first ride of the season. the speedo quit working on me. it just dropped to 0 then started bouncing around a little. then it was just dead. I replaced the sensor and then it was fine for a day or two. then the speedo quit again after i stopped and turned the bike off i started it and all was good for the rest of the day! now on occasion. usually within the first 3 or 4 minutes of startimg my bike for the first time of the day. the speedo quits. sometimes it comes back on its own and sometimes i have to shut the bike off and restart it. the its usually fine for the rest of the day. This only happens about 50% of the time when I ride. Any good ideas??? I ve alredy replaced thesensor once and things got better, I just cant believe that a sensor would cause this problem now. Im in the process of trading this bike to another HDF member and I want to get it taken care of ASAP. i just dont have a couple hundred bucks to give to the dealer to chase this problem.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: speedo problems! dont think its a sensor though

ORIGINAL: jcboof

I also installed chrome midframe covers that required moving the main wire harness a bit to install a screw.
That's were I'd look first. Look for a compromised connection or wire.