Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TOTAL Electrical shut down

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
jrdillinger
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOTAL Electrical shut down

I've got a 2002 Electraglide with an intermittent problem.&nbsp\\; Long story short I went into an S turn too hot near a quarry, gravel all over the road.&nbsp\\; There was no oncoming traffic so I straightened her up so I could nail the brakes. We were riding two up and hit a deep pothole with the rear tire and bottomed out hard while braking.&nbsp\\; The bike stalled.&nbsp\\; After cleaning my shorts I started up the bike without incident and proceeded 2 hours down the road.&nbsp\\; While putting through a town the electrical system shut down.&nbsp\\; I drifted off the road and let her sit 2 minutes.&nbsp\\; The breaker reset and I was off.&nbsp\\; Road 3 hours home without incident.&nbsp\\; Over the last&nbsp\\;6 weeks&nbsp\\;its happened 3 more times with varying durations of ride.&nbsp\\; It always starts up again after 2 minutes.&nbsp\\; It finally happened while riding solo after 2 weeks of commuting.&nbsp\\; Any ideas before it happens in front of a highballing semi?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: TOTAL Electrical shut down

Sounds like you have a loose or broken/chafed wire or connection that is tripping the breaker. I would start buy going through all the plugs in the wiring harness &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; fuse panel and check all the connections. Then look at the wiring adjacent to the rear tire that may have been damaged by the pothole incident.Check the fuse panel for cracks or damage.&nbsp\\;If your bike has a maxi fuse test it.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem sith my last Ultra.&nbsp\\; The&nbsp\\; '01 &amp\\; '02 Glides had a problem with a faulty main breaker.&nbsp\\; I think HD finally issues a TSB on it.&nbsp\\; But before you go crazy chasing down a bunch of other things, i would replace the main breaker with a new one.&nbsp\\; I believe it is a 40 amp, self resetting and it is located under the seat

Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM
bigdaddy405
Advanced

My buddies 03 glide would shut down all the time &amp\\; restart after 10-15 minutes.&nbsp\\; It was the cam sensor.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:42 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdaddy405

My buddies 03 glide would shut down all the time &amp\\;\\\\\\; restart after 10-15 minutes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It was the cam sensor.
Hmmmm not likely as 2003 models did not have a cam sensor...

Perhaps you mean the crank sensor CKP ?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Also, the OP is talking about a complete electrical power loss, not the motor shutting off.

I was going to say try replacing the breaker first. The pothole incident probably sent it over the edge.