Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Alarm Question, HD or Scorpio

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
aa961jester
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Question, HD or Scorpio

I have a 2005 Electra Glide Classic and I am thinking about installing an alarm system.&nbsp\\; In my owners manual I see there is a red key on my instruments that represents the alarm system.&nbsp\\; Am I correct to think that if I install a HD security system, the red key flashes when the system is armed&nbsp\\;as a type of warning?&nbsp\\; Does anyone know if the Scorpio system causes that key light to flash when armed?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks in advance,
&nbsp\\;
Joe

Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Default RE: Alarm Question, HD or Scorpio

That is correct. The red light flashed when the H-D alarm is set.
I have the H-D alarm security system with the optional siren and pager system and it works very well. The range on the pager is pretty good. Last place I stayed overnight I was on the 2nd floor and way down the hall from where my bike was parked and still had pager contact.
&nbsp\\;
The H-D alarm and security system disables the bike. It has a motion detector and will sound an&nbsp\\; alarm if bumped or jarred.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM
aa961jester
Intermediate

One of my concerns is the saddlebags and add on's like the backrest.&nbsp\\; The Scorpio has an adjustable "perimeter alarm" will the HD motion detector protect the areas I mentioned, and is it adjustable for sensitivity?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
IndyRider
Road Captain

If I lift the lid on one of my bags unless I am real careful it will trigger the alarm because of the motion. For my Mustang removable backrest I take it into the hotel with me.&nbsp\\; Scorpio is a good alarm I understand. I just don't know anyone who has one.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Jerry Keefer
Stage II

New to the forum\\;
&nbsp\\;
I just purchased the security/fob system for my&nbsp\\;2008FXDC.&nbsp\\; I thought I was a pretty good mechanic, but I'll be damned if I can figure out the factory location for the antenna.&nbsp\\; There is a small plastic bracket engineered to clip on to a specific item/location to anchor and support the antenna with in the distance of the 10 inch antenna wire, but try as I might, I can't identify the spot...&nbsp\\; Does any one know.??&nbsp\\; Called a couple of the Harley gurus in the area&nbsp\\;and checked the factory shop manual, but no &nbsp\\;luck..
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for your help
&nbsp\\;
Jerry&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Do a search Jerry. Somewhere on the forum there is a thread on this complete with pictures.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Jerry Keefer
Stage II

Thanks Doc,&nbsp\\; I'll give it a try...
&nbsp\\;
Jerry

Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer

Hi aa961jester [8D]...
&nbsp\\;
I've got both alarms, the H-D and the Scorpio 500i something...
&nbsp\\;
Problem I see with the standard is that it is pretty much dead till you really move the bike and even then it gives the thief/Mfcker a chance to steal or damage your bike quite easily. The H-D alarm in general is quite friendly with those elements and rather unpleasant with the owner. Still, once you get to know it, it is a nice piece of equipment to have in the case of a true theft try. For that reason I kept it in place when I installed the Scorpio.
&nbsp\\;
Now the Scorpio is a totally different cattle of fish\\; It is a positive, fast action-reaction alarm and as you mentioned it even keeps the humans and other mammals from getting close to your bike thanks to that perimeter (microwave sensor) that you can add to the basic Sporpio alarm unit. The pager is also a great tool to have since even as far as half a mile down the road you can still receive warnings and even modify the alarm status from that distance. Say some kids are having fun making the perimeter sensor trigger and the siren play its "tunes", you can make it go into the silent mode and then grab those little devils to scare the $#it out of them....
All in all I would choose the Scorpio from the H-D, but in my case, the H-D alarm system came with the bike, so I just had to invest on the small fortune the Scorpio alarm costs. Fourth bike in the past ten years and I´ve always relied on Sporpio for my bike's safety.
&nbsp\\;
Take a look at some U-tube videos I uploaded after installing the Scorpio on my Dyna:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGl97mdxXco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDL4W...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegM5vJFS7s&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; this one just recorded as a joke.....
&nbsp\\;
Spanish Flyer