Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

03 FLSTSI No SPARK, No FUEL PUMP, Cranks GOOD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:55 AM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 FLSTSI No SPARK, No FUEL PUMP, Cranks GOOD!

I have a 03 Heritage&nbsp\\;Softtail Fuel INjected...NO SPARK...NO FUEL PUMP...JUST CRANKS OVER AND OVER.
&nbsp\\;
I have searched just about ALL related posts before getting to this point...NO DICE
&nbsp\\;
So here is what I have checked so far:
&nbsp\\;
1. all fuses are fine and have power EXCEPT the Fuel Pump fuse (FYI: yellow/green wire supplies power to fuel pump and coils)
&nbsp\\;
2. battery good and fully charged
&nbsp\\;
3. run/stop switch checked...works fine
&nbsp\\;
4. New relays..relays fine
&nbsp\\;
5. BAS tripped ??? NO...but did ignition on off on anyways.
&nbsp\\;
So what else would cut power to Coils and Fuel Pump
&nbsp\\;
6. Checked connections at ecm and TSSM...CLean and Secure.
&nbsp\\;
7. No Power commanders or any modifications or additions or recent tinkering. No sabatoge either.
&nbsp\\;
QUESTION...Does ECM need to be grounded???
&nbsp\\;
QUESTION...Would&nbsp\\; a bad Crank Position Sensor cut power to Coils and Pump???
&nbsp\\;
BAD ECM???
&nbsp\\;
BAD TSSM (turn signal security module)???
&nbsp\\;
I am losing my mind...been trying for the past 4 days till 4 in the morning at times..NO DICE
&nbsp\\;
I will greatly appreciate your guys help...Guide me towards the Light. Thanks in Advance!!!!!!! Bolio

Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: 03 FLSTSI No SPARK, No FUEL PUMP, Cranks GOOD!

If you have the plugs out of the heads while turning over the motor the CKP won't see or sense compression so it doesn't allow spark or the injectors to operate. If the plugs are in the head while your cranking and still no spark or fuel replace or clean the CKP.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

I will try checking and cleaning the CKP today...I will get back later with my results.
&nbsp\\;
And THANKS !&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Bolio

Old 07-04-2008, 02:44 AM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

Hey Doc....
&nbsp\\;
I forgot to mention...I checked and cleaned Crank Position Sensor...NO DICE. (will try replacing)
&nbsp\\;
I got a complete wire harness off of Ebay.....
&nbsp\\;
I bought a NEW ECM from HArley Dealer....
&nbsp\\;
STILL NO DICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
&nbsp\\;
Question:::::::::HOw do I check codes on this 2003 Heritage Springer??? I tried the Switch/Trip BUtton thing and all it does is go through a series of 01clr 02 clr 03 clr and so on as you press the trip buton...Another guy on this forum had the exact same problem with NIGHT-Train.. So how do you check codes..(((((You know...my check engine light never comes on.....WHY is that Doc???)))
&nbsp\\;
I got a harley mechanic manual...I couldnt get the new ecm to begin its "learning process"....security light doesnt stay on for 10 minutes.
&nbsp\\;
I am going nuts...I have read alot of guys with the same prob....No power to coils and no fuel pump power...but just cranking away.....seems like nobody fixed their bike or noone came back to relay the fix to the rest of us...
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for your help DOC....and if anyone else has had the similar problem or has found a solution or a answer to my questions....Just jump in there. I really appreciate the help...

Old 07-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

read through this https://www.hdforums.com/m_3572909/m...tm.htm#3582057

Old 07-05-2008, 01:19 AM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

Hey...Doc....
&nbsp\\;
I read the forum you added a link to...I was the guy at the end trying to give the guy the advice that was given to me...I dont understand why you added that link. The poor guy is in the same predicament I am in.
&nbsp\\;
I got the CKP delivered same day..today...STILL NO DICE...I am going to invest in a wig...or 2-pay
&nbsp\\;
This is nuts...so whats you thought???
&nbsp\\;
I dont understand the part about the dealer having to install the proper codes into the ECM...
&nbsp\\;
I have a 2003 Softail Mechanic Manuel..HArley ISsued...It has the steps to "marrying" a new ECM or TSSM...
&nbsp\\;
You think I just got a bad "NEW HD ECM" ???
&nbsp\\;
I was thinking bad BAS sensor...but I found the corresponding wires and with a volt metter and light tester, I was able to simulate the bike falling over by flipping the TSSM...IT works...and cuts power off...then Ignition on off on..power back on..
&nbsp\\;
ON the System Relay...wires white/black have power when switch is in RUN and Ignition ON...Blue/Grey have constant power from ECM Fuse(even when Ignition OFF...Yellow/green is the one I NEED power to so that it can send power accross FUEL PUMP fuse and provide power to Fuel Pump and Coils....So to make this relay work...green/orange needs to be grounded by the ECM....but it isnt...Dangumit!!!!!!
&nbsp\\;
Should harley replace ECM??? I mean, if it tests bad??? Imagine if its good....I would be throwing stuff around my shop like those folks on Amr Chopper...
&nbsp\\;
Help DOC...Are we and the same frame of thought....??? If not...please enlighten me....
&nbsp\\;
Anybody...thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

I posted the link before I seen your post trying to help him...plus there is a good popint made in that link by Steve Cole about the ECM being blank.&nbsp\\; If it indeed is a blank ECM it needs to have a map installled into it and the dealer should have done that for you. I'd take the ECM off and take it to the dealer where he can use a donor bike to hook it up to the digital tech to give birth to your ECM by installing the codes (program and map) to make it work.&nbsp\\; It's like buying a computer with no programs installed and you trying to get MICROSOFT WORD to come up....it won't because it was never installed.&nbsp\\; Like Steve said the ECM's can be used on several model bikes with different codes so the MoCo might have sent yours blank to be programed for your machine.
Just a thought.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:43 AM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

Thanks Doc....
&nbsp\\;
I wasnt able to Call HD yesterday because they closed early due to the 4th. BUt I will get on the phone right now....
&nbsp\\;
I will keep you guys posted as to the results....
&nbsp\\;
And again....much thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 11:55 AM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

I just got off the phone with one of HD's service managers/tech...
&nbsp\\;
He said all ECM are coming "BLANK"...and need to be programmed at the dealer.
&nbsp\\;
He also said that if I had a older HD service manual it would say that you can program it without a Programmer...you can do it with a series of on off on off balh blah blah.....Well...NOT NO MORE...THATS HISTORY...New Manuals say you need a PROGRAMER and TAKE TO DEALER....
&nbsp\\;
Well how nice of HD....Thinking about the customers and those Mechanics that cant afford $1000 programmers...
&nbsp\\;
Anybody knows of any aftermarket scanners or programmers that wont Break the Bank???
&nbsp\\;
Doc and Steve were absolutely RIGHT!!!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; On hte bright-side...Atleast Im not going to be up till 4am trying to find bad connections or loose wires...HAHAHA
&nbsp\\;
So...any cheap programmers on the market...or maybe a plug in that will Code my ECM...???
&nbsp\\;
Thanks as always guys..

Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 PM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

Hello to all..
&nbsp\\;
I found a post that really explains and supports what "Doc", "Steve", and that HD Service Manger stated above...
&nbsp\\;
I guess it all depends on what version of "NEW ECM" you are sold....CHECK OUT THE LINK:
&nbsp\\;
https://www.hdforums.com/m_297884/tm.htm

Quick Reply: 03 FLSTSI No SPARK, No FUEL PUMP, Cranks GOOD!