Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Oil light on, could it be a sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Smokedawg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light on, could it be a sensor?

Hey guys,
&nbsp\\;
I changed the oil about 3 weeks ago on my 94 softail.&nbsp\\; I have put about 100 miles on it since.&nbsp\\; All was fine and it ran great.&nbsp\\; This morning I went to get it out and ride it to work since it was suppose to be a nice day.&nbsp\\; I fired it up and pulled it outside my garage.&nbsp\\; I got off of it and went back to shut the garage door.&nbsp\\; As I was walking away, the bike died.&nbsp\\; I got back on it and it fired right back up.&nbsp\\; I looked down and the oil light was on though.&nbsp\\; I turned it off and checked the oil and the oil is still reading between the two lines on the dipstick.&nbsp\\; Is this where it is suppose to be?&nbsp\\; The oil tank is damn near all the way full, this correct?&nbsp\\; Could it just be a sensor?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks!!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Oil light on, could it be a sensor?

The oil light will come on when the oil pressure is below 2 lbs. The oil pressure switch works on a ground so if the wire from the switch grounded out the light will come on, if the switch went bad and grounded the light will come on. If the bike starts to rattle or tick loudly in the valve train you lost oil pressure but if the valve train noise is not there your oil pressure is more than likely okay.&nbsp\\; You can also remove the filler cap to the oil tank and watch if oil is returning into the tank as the motor runs.....this will tell you if the pump is working or not.