Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

DIY - Nightrider O2 IED's..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY - Nightrider O2 IED's..

I had originally posted a couple of questions related to building your own IED's in cruiser85257's thread. Since I don\\;t want to hijack his thread, I thought I'd post a new thread on building your own IED's. Please be aware that this is copyright material provided by Steve Mullen - Copyright 1997-2006 Stephen Mullen, Oldsmar, FL. Also, any profits acquired by using Steve's patent is prohibited by the Copyright law. You may, on the other hand, want to contribute $$$ to Steve's great work, you can donate to his particular AKC Boxer organization. I'll dig up the specifics of this later.

Well, here goes. The IED's will be built as specified by Steve's diagram: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...olt_divide.htm

Also, they are build as in-line plugins, using the appropriate connectors, eliminating the need to cut and splice any stock wiring.

Part list:

Connectors, pins, 16 AWG wire, heat shrink, access to crimper. The connectors are a little more forgiving, so it's possible to solder wire and pins and bent over the tabs with needle nose pliers, elminiating need for a crimper.

Note:
1. All parts can be purchased from your local HD dealer, allbeit, may have to be special ordered. One exception HD does not have any part numbers for the male pins. Need to be ordered from an on-line electronics supplier, which will add to the cost. They usually charge you handling charges and/or minimum purchases (ie., bulk)
2. All parts are Tyco/Amp products

Gundog originally posted this info, and I took it from there and modified his list

Harley part numbers:
2 of, 72009-05 Housing 2-way pin ALL [ FEMALE CONNECTORS]
8 of, 72011-05 Wire Seal, 16-20 AWG (yellow) [ SEAL plugs for mositure protection]
4 of, 72006-05 Terminal, socket 16-20 AWG [FEMALE PINS]
2 of, 72007-05 Housing 2-way socket [ MALE CONNECTORS]

Now, the male pins can be purchased from http://www.electronicsurplus.com:
4 of, 183024-1 [MALE PINS]

Resistors can be purchased at any electronics store, like Radio Shack: 1/4watt:
2 of, 10k
2 of, 20K

Alternate sources:

Female connectors, NAMZ Custom Cycles.
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...Connectors.htm

Male and Female pins:
http://www.electronicsurplus.com

Tyco/Amp corss-reference part numbers:
183024-1 Male pin
183025-1 Female pin
281934-2 Wire Seal
282104-1 Male Connector
282080-1 Female Connector

Okay, the pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/34488/85EF5202AC5146F89B65093A615FD35B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/34488/3092C7C009B04577BE92803273DF2AC0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: DIY - Nightrider O2 IED's..

Shure and by the time you get all the phoning and searching done, get the postage and handeling, purchase the special tools required to crimp all&nbsp\\;the stuff up.... I would rather&nbsp\\;let Steve get the $30 profit, or whatever he makes on a set, over what you would end up spending and get on to the next project....&nbsp\\; Or riding. He thought of it, did the testing, had the ***** to order up all this stuff in large qty, and chase down a job shop to put it all into a cute little package.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to make something very similar for rx-7's.. at the time sold those units for $45 each.....
&nbsp\\;
Ya know what.....&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; thius time i said screw that and paid Stephen the money to just build me a set!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess everybody is missing the point here. Has nothing to do with screwing Steve out of any money, saving money, etc. Just a hands kind of guy who likes to screw around with stuff and having fun at it. If Steve really took offense with this, he would have never posted his findings and DIY information. So, end of story. Hopefully, others will find this informative....

Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DIY - Nightrider O2 IEDs..

First. He is not the one who thought of it. This information has been known since probably the third day after O2 sensors first started being used.

Second. If he gets a patent on these (which I doubt will happen unless the application is for something extremely specific - if for no other reason than a savvy patent inspector will not approve something that is obvious to anyone who works in the general field of activity to which it pertains, or especially if there is already prior art, which for these, in general, there is no doubt prior art - see back a couple of posts for just one example right here). Oops, lost track of the thought. If he does obtain a patent (stranger things have happened) then it is Patent law which pertains, not Copywrite Copyright law, and if something is patented, you cannot make one for yourself, even if it is solely for your private use, without obtaining license from the patent holder. Well, you can, but technically it is breaking the law.