Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ran my superglide lean for 300 miles.. Damage????

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran my superglide lean for 300 miles.. Damage????

So i was havving "issues" with my new (to me) 06 superglide..

only mods to the bike were harley script slip-ons....
(i asked them FIVE times if they would cause it to need a re-map... No you'll be fine)

Running hot, poor throttle response, bucking at cruise in town, vibrations, pinging.....

Took it to steeler and told them about the above...

Well....Friday, tech calls me, says he can't find anything wrong after two five minute rides...I wig out and tell him that i've been tuning injection for 10 years on rx-7's and there is something WRONG.....he wants more time to "diagnose"...I tell him BS, i'll pick up the bike and slap an auto-tune in it and be done with it...

Owner calls me back a minute later asking to keep it for a while so they can fix the problem.

Today.... I get a call from the DYNO tech....they put the bike on the dyno.... its running from 15.8 to 16.9 AFR at cruise![:@][:@][:@][:@]

WOW... i knew it was lean, but i didn't think it was THAT lean!

now to my question.... what did 300 miles of that kind of leaness and heat do to my 5K mile motor?I know if i did that to a rotary motor, i'd have puked the apex seals out the wastegate!!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Ran my superglide lean for 300 miles.. Damage????

Have a leak down test done....this will let you know if there is damage to the rings or valves, if it passes with less than 10% your alright, if it's above 10% you might think about a fresh top end.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My bike acted the same way, even with the stock mufflers. I bet&nbsp\\;none of the bikes are tuned the same from the factory. A friend of mine has an 07 dyna with short shot pipes without baffles, and SE AC, NO tuner or download at all, and his bike runs beautiful and has no signs of running lean. How did he get so lucky?
I went to the dealer today, to see about getting my air/fuel checked, and was told they can't even check it without a race tuner[:@]&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Just because a bike seems toi run ok doesn't mean it's delivering fuel in the right ratio.&nbsp\\; Ask your dealer how did we check the AFR in carb bikes??????

Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Donny,&nbsp\\;they don't need a SERT to stick a sniffer up the tailpipe &amp\\; do a few dyno pulls.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
VicW.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Donny
Road Captain

LMAO!, I asked him that, too. "can't you just stick the sniffer in there?... what if I had a carbed bike?" His answer was "if you had a carbed bike it would be a different story, but we don't have the program to use the sniffer on a FI bike,unless you buy the race tuner". I asked how much for sert and tune... "459.00+tax, 150.00 for install + 90.00/hour min. 4 hours.
&nbsp\\;
You see, Doc1, that's exactly why I gave up on the sert!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;On top of that, not one of the so called dyno techs I talked to, could answer any of the questions you had said to ask when looking for a tuner.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced

GEEZE Donny....an Innovative LM-2 Wideband is only $459.... and you get to KEEP it when you are done!!!!
&nbsp\\;
and.. 4 hours minimum to install a SERT???Maybe I'm&nbsp\\;wrong, but, there aint nothing to really install is there??

things like that are why I'm gonna have to put a T-Max on my bike eventually.... I simply can\\\\\\;t stand paying someone else to do something that it would cost me the same amount of money to buy the parts and do it myself!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Donny
Road Captain

Yep,&nbsp\\;I seriously thought about converting to a carb, which CAN be done, but I'm trying real hard to give this fuel injection thing a chance. It would cost as much to convert it, as a good dyno tune with sert along with a few other performance mods. I really can't afford either one right now, so I settled for a fuelpak that I got a good deal on, and when money gets better, I'm getting a TTS tuner or sert, and going to take it to Doc1, wherever he's located...florida? I can't remember.
Most dealers around here just want your money. They throw a canned map in it, and send it out the door. Almost every one I talked to seemed to get real nervous when I said I would wait for it and wanted printouts and a copy of the map. That's why I sold the sert I had...I just couldn't find a tuner I could trust.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

I know your frustration level with the Dealers who know nothing about tuning...it's a shame but it's the truth. I get very frustrated with the same dealer telling me they tune well enough and they don't need any training....DUH !!!!!
Yes I'm in Florida and we will get you taken care of....100%
Doc

Old 07-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Donny
Road Captain

Thanks Doc, I just talked to a friend of mine, who does import car tuning, and he said he's got a wide band setup, that I stick in my exhaust, and strap the rest on my bike, so I can ride it around, and then read the data when I get back.&nbsp\\;he said he's not sure how well it'll work, since he's never tried it on a bike, but it might give me an idea if it's dangerously&nbsp\\;lean or not.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Ran my superglide lean for 300 miles.. Damage????