Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2000 883 PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A SENSOR IN THE PRIMARY THAT KILLS SPARK IF IT'S DRY!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 883 PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A SENSOR IN THE PRIMARY THAT KILLS SPARK IF IT'S DRY!!!!!!

&nbsp\\;
My positive battery&nbsp\\;cable snapped off at the starter connection point this week so I removed the Primary cover, starter and installed a new positive cable. I put the primary cover back on, assembled the clutch ramp, put the&nbsp\\;battery box on, hooked up the battery, hit the starter and she fired right up!!!! YEAH!!. I bliped the throttle once, shut her down and finnished putting her back together which was simply putting on the battery cover and the fuse bloc electrical junction assy together and back in the mounts. I tried to fire it up again and no go! It tirns over like a top but both cylinders only get a weak spark right after you hit the start button then no spark. I have checked and double checked&nbsp\\;all the fuses and connections. It acts to me as if there is something blocking the spark, maybe pressure related since you ALWAYS get 1 or two sparks on either plug when you initially hit the starter then nothing. I haven't put the primary oil back in yet because I have to get new oil for it. I'm hoping there is a sensor or something in the primary that cuts spark if it is dry. I've looked in the service manual but found nothing yet. I hate to have to trailer this to the shop, especially after taking the time to fix the original problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: 2000 883 PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A SENSOR IN THE PRIMARY THAT KILLS SPARK IF IT'S DRY!!!!!!

Take the batery cover back off and try it again.....the cover could be touching a terminal, a + or - wire on the terminal might be loose.&nbsp\\; There is no sensor in the primary.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2000 883 PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A SENSOR IN THE PRIMARY THAT KILLS SPARK IF IT'S DRY!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply doc! I found it, there is a small elec module on the right side of the battery box when i started tearing it down again I noticed it was unplugged so I plugged it in and she fired right up. I have no idea why it started the first time because I know I did not hook it up on the initial re-installation...... Now for a nice ride tomorrow to make sure I'm not leaking primary oil from anywhere!