Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:38 AM
biker01
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI

How hard are EFI Harleys to work on?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: EFI

They are no harder to work on than any other Harley....the biggest thing about EFI bikes is when a modification is done the ECM needs to be recalibrated.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

When an EFI part fails and needs replacing....that part is usually very expensive. The really nice thing is the onboard check engine light though....as it can help lead you in the right direction on to what is wrong.
&nbsp\\;
I'll take either an old Bendix, CV carburetor, or an S&amp\\;S Super E.....when it is time to work on it though.
&nbsp\\;
Actually though, the Harley EFI systems including the Magnetti Marreli is pretty reliable.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

When an EFI part fails and needs replacing....that part is usually very expensive.
This is a myth in my opinion. With the exception of the fuel pump at $105, any of the parts that are most likely to fail are between $20-40.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Buzzardbait
Advanced

I'll admit, I'm new to Harley Injection.. However...
Ive been tuning injection for 10 years now on turbo charged RX-7's...trying to tune a turbocharged, rotary engine by mucking about with carberators would be lunacy IMHO..

Anyway...tuning injection is FAR easier (work wise at least) than working with carberators....You hook a computer up, put the vehicle on a dyno and hit some keys...
AND THERE is ALSO the problem....95% of the people out there do not have the EQUIPMENT nor the KNOW_HOW to propery tune their own system...
AND... the MoCo and the dealerships guard the info like super-secrete squirrel droppings.....
Back in the old days... you bought a set of pipes and they came with a set of jets for the carberator (well, not always, but you get my point), there had been so much research done, that they pretty much had the re-jet thing down to a science....

That aint happening now!!!

THe goopd news is that companys are catchin up...For example...Vance and Hines have been doing a lot of legwork in this area, if you buy a set of V$H pipes and install a high flow airfilter, you can also buy the V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H fuel pak and dial in settings found on their website that will compensate for the changes and re-tune your bike..

Finally...... I know guys that bitch about how complicated injection is.....but, these same guys took their carberated&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;bikes in to the stealer to have them re-jetted after a pipe change, so whats the difference now.. they still aint doing the work!!!!