Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Throttle Adjust ** Redux

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 PM
ajdrr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Adjust ** Redux

I know, I know, there are a thousand posts about throttle cable adjustments. I have read them all (well, some) and still was not quite satisfied.

I have an 07 Deluxe with a Stage 1, I adjusted the throttle and idle cables like everyone says (I am glad to see the procedure, repeated as often as it is in this forum, is consistant). I get the play out just fine and just hit the WOT stop and back off a bit so I don't stretch etc...
But....
When I tighten the poor mans cuise control until I can just barely feel it's pressure, there is a noticeable sticking point just before the throttle is full closed. I examined it closely and see that the little "shoe" that rubs against the throttle is riding up on the cable guide ramp at the end of the travel. This happened with the stock grips and the new ISO grips.

This makes the throttle stick when almost closed, feels like a small bump. Further testing led me to adjust the throttle cable until I could not feel this bump, but it does not quite hit the WOT stop. Then when I take up the slack with the idle cable, all is well, side to side and with the poor man's cruise (pmc) just snug to remove in-out play. The pmc does not bind at all now until it is tight.

This is all fine to me, but I wonder if it is important for the Throttle position sensor or EFI computer whether or not I actually hit the stop at WOT.

How important is it that the WOT stop is hit at WOT?
Anyone else notice this "bump" with the pmc?

Old 06-29-2008, 01:04 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle Adjust ** Redux

If you cahnged bars, bar position or your grips you have put your cable in a slight bind. I put new risers on my bike and cause a slight bind. Repositioned the cables and changed bar angle slightly and bind went away.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 PM
ajdrr
Intermediate

Standard, stock, haven't touched 'em bars and controls. The bind is only related to the throttle tension screw, not position. I tried repositioning the front brake assy, and bars, but no luck. Only backing off the throttle stop, until it is loose works. It is like the throttle grip wants to be rotated with respect to the housing, towards the rider. But the grip does not move relative to the housing.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ajdrr

I have an 07 Deluxe with a Stage 1, I adjusted the throttle and idle cables like everyone says (I am glad to see the procedure, repeated as often as it is in this forum, is consistant). I get the play out just fine and just hit the WOT stop and back off a bit so I don't stretch etc...
But....
When I tighten the poor mans cuise control until I can just barely feel it's pressure, there is a noticeable sticking point just before the throttle is full closed. I examined it closely and see that the little "shoe" that rubs against the throttle is riding up on the cable guide ramp at the end of the travel. This happened with the stock grips and the new ISO grips.
Why are you tightening up the throttle lock screw (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "poor mans cruise control")? Of course it's going to stick if you do that... that's what it's for. The more you tighten it the more it sticks until you "lock" the throttle. Adjust the cables per the service manual and leave the throttle lock screw loose. Problem solved.

How important is it that the WOT stop is hit at WOT?
That depends. Do you want to be able to go to WOT or slightly less than WOT? The ECM could care less.