Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

0-50 mph in 0.9s

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 0-50 mph in 0.9s

I got my super tuner out today and used it to record some data. They seem to have made a common mistake. That being that 1s = 100 ms rather than 1s = 1000 ms. So that leaves me wondering where they made the mistake. Is it suppose to be logging every 50 ms as it says or every 0.5s as it is?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: 0-50 mph in 0.9s

ORIGINAL: LilBudyWizer

I got my super tuner out today and used it to record some data. They seem to have made a common mistake. That being that 1s = 100 ms rather than 1s = 1000 ms. So that leaves me wondering where they made the mistake. Is it suppose to be logging every 50 ms as it says or every 0.5s as it is?
&nbsp\\;
You can't count all the glitches the ProTuner has...lol

Old 06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Them's undocumented features. I tried verifying just how frequently it's actually recording. Forgot to push the little button before turning the engine off, oops. Decided to see just how long it could record so recorded for 45 minutes.&nbsp\\;How long is 15 minutes? 15 minutes by the clock, 15 minutes by the software, 15 minutes by the timestamps? After 45 minutes it wasn't blinking fast indicating the buffer was full. It did crash the software when I tried to download it though. All undocumented features giving you reason to ride in case you lacked one.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea...if you turn off the bike before pushing the red button you loose your recording...lol
I've had the computer lock up SEVERAL times while tuning with the Pro Tuner, heck I've had two bad units right out of the box that wouldn't communicate at all with the computer or the ECM.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, who tests this stuff for the MoCo?&nbsp\\;Goes to the point - don't buy the first model.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:16 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I installed the update on my desktop, but apparently neglected to do so on the laptop I actually connect to the bike through the VCI. The patch fixed the problems with the timestamps. It would be nice if there were release notes explaining what they fixed/changed. As near as I can tell there is not firmware update for the VCI.
&nbsp\\;
The VCI is suppose to flash it's LED rapidly and stop recording when it runs out of space. Apparently the software crashs trying to download files are due to the VCI not stopping and instead wrapping around, overwriting prior data and corrupting the data recorded in doing so. So no firmware update was a disappointment.
&nbsp\\;
I'm trying to determine just how much data the device can record since that determines when the data becomes corrupted. I tried recording just short of 29 minutes and downloaded the file with no problem. I tried just short of 32 minutes and downloaded that with no problem. So I guess I'll have to play a game of high and low to figure out just how long it can record.
&nbsp\\;
I figured out the little CD looking thing in the data window is the record button Using that it records four records a second. The VCI records data at two records a second. I used a stopwatch to time logs, checked the number of records and the timestamps and all that seem right with the patch.
&nbsp\\;
Since it can record, at least, 30 minutes when it's only suppose to be able to do 15 minutes I'm wondering if it isn't suppose to be recording at the same rate as the computer, i.e. four records a second. It would seem to me that two records a second isn't sufficient for racing applications, but four starts getting in the range of adequate. It would be nice if you could set the rate. I'm trying to learn at this point using steady speed cruising so 1s would be sufficent for me. More frequent would be nice for rolldown/up tests though.