Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

06 FXDCi Running hot.. SERT, PCIII, OiED????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 FXDCi Running hot.. SERT, PCIII, OiED????

First.. little background….&nbsp\\;I’m a new Harley owner.. but I’m NOT new to injection, I’ve been tuning Turbo Charged Rx-7’s for a while now.&nbsp\\; The methods and hardware Harleys use are a bit different, but the idea is the same..

NOW then… on to the problem and question.

I just bought an 06 FXDCI..&nbsp\\; The bike runs OK.&nbsp\\; Always starts, etc, the only mods to the engine/ exhaust are a pair of Harley script slipons (not screamin’ eagles) cauise the stock muffs were tooooo quiet.

Now… the bike is running on the lean side..especially after it gets warmed up&nbsp\\;(and from my research, this is the way the come from the factory thanks to the EPA….)

Symptoms:&nbsp\\; HOT..&nbsp\\;motor runs HOT…&nbsp\\; It pings from time to time, especially with a passenger (then anytime you hit a hill),&nbsp\\; lacks pickup when you roll on the throttle, and it surges when you are cruisin in town at low throttle positions.&nbsp\\;

Eventually, I want to put Rinehart 2-1’s on it and an air cleaner… but for THIS summer… I’d just like it to run a bit better and a bit cooler,&nbsp\\; I’ll buy my mods over the winter and have it properly tuned next spring…

I’ve looked into several options, SERT, ThunderMax, Techlusion (Ness or Dobeck), PCIII, Nightrider..

So….

For this summer..&nbsp\\;I’m leaning towards just buying a Ness Big Shot and adding some fuel to the cruise range….

Or would I be better off to get a SERT and bump up the closed loop reference tables?

I like the idea of the Thundermax.. its very similar to the Autronic ECU for cars with the autotune that I’ve used before, but, it seems like you have to leave the wideband 02 meters in the all the time…. Which would seem to get a bit expensive…..

And then there's the Nightrider DYN OiED's............... at $70 bucks.... this seems like the cheapest way to go just to have it run a little richer until I add my pipes and cleaner next spring..
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: 06 FXDCi Running hot.. SERT, PCIII, OiED????

If you are tuning EFI then you know to get it dyno tuned. A TC engine is a long way from an automobile watercooled one. BTW, if it surges you probably need 25 degree fuel injectors if it has the 8 degree ones.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Buzzardbait
Advanced

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

If you are tuning EFI then you know to get it dyno tuned. A TC engine is a long way from an automobile watercooled one. BTW, if it surges you probably need 25 degree fuel injectors if it has the 8 degree ones.
&nbsp\\;
I've been readin about this injector fiasco.... Gonna call the stealership tomorrow....

THe "degree" in the injectors...from my experience, that means a 25 degree cone spray pattern versus an 8 degree cone spray pattern?&nbsp\\;(25 degree giving a better atomization) Correct?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
steveoh62
Cruiser

I have an '06 FXDCi as well. Pretty much stock except for SE slipons (HD# 80061-00). This my first Harley.
&nbsp\\;
I installed Nightriders DYN OiED's to try and reduce the heat and get some performance improvement. They have been on now for 2 weeks. I verified the engine temps with an IR thermometer prior to installation. 310 deg on the front cyl and 336 deg on the back cyl. After install, the temps dropped by maybe 20 deg at most. It "appears" to be cooler when stopped at lights. When I roll on the throttle, it really responds, even in 6th gear. I have not verified mileage yet.
&nbsp\\;
The only downside is that the check engine light comes on after it is idling for a minute or so. Once you get going, the light goes off after about a max of 30 seconds. According to Steve at Nightrider, this has to do with the voltage difference caused by the OiED's. Now while I believe this CE light is not a problem, it still bugs me. I am not sure if I will keep them on. I'll let you know.