Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Where is my race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:05 PM
ford
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is my race tuner

I bought a new 2008 street glyde, I&nbsp\\;dropped it off for exhaust work (stage 1 kit). Harley was supposed to install a race tuner, my question is where would this be located to confirm if they put the race tuner in or reprogrammed my ECM? (I paid for a race tuner) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kevin

Old 06-21-2008, 06:56 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Default RE: Where is my race tuner

If you bought the tuner, they should have given you a little dongle that plugs into the data port under the right sidecover.

Make sure you purchased a race tuner and not a stage 1 download. If you indeed purchased a race tuner, go back to that dealer and tell them you want it.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

ORIGINAL: ford

I bought a new 2008 street glyde, I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;dropped it off for exhaust work (stage 1 kit). Harley was supposed to install a race tuner, my question is where would this be located to confirm if they put the race tuner in or reprogrammed my ECM? (I paid for a race tuner) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kevin
&nbsp\\;
The Race Tuner is a download to your ECM, not something you can physically see.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You cant see it on the bike, but if you purchased a race tuner and not just a down load, you should have gotten the part and cables like neonhomer said.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: stro1965

I bought a new 2008 street glyde, I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;dropped it off for exhaust work (stage 1 kit). Harley was supposed to install a race tuner, my question is where would this be located to confirm if they put the race tuner in or reprogrammed my ECM? (I paid for a race tuner) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kevin
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The Race Tuner is a download to your ECM, not something you can physically see.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bum-Scoop to the extreme.....
&nbsp\\;
The Race Tuner is a KIT... Software and Interface key, or dongle... You can PHYSICALLY SEE, TOUCH, SMELL and even lick if you so desire.....
&nbsp\\;
The dongle is what allows the PC to communicate to the ECM of the bike... It does not stay on the bike, but it is a tangible component......
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008, 04:37 AM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer

Not forgetting the CD that comes with the connector, that enables you to install the RaceTuner program on your computer so (If you know what you are doing), you can plug it in once more to correct/modify any parameter at any time. The Race Tuner is a ONE BIKE USE\\; once installed on a computer and used on one bike, it cannot be used on other bikes, so if you really paid for the SERT (Race Tuner) and was used on your bike, it is of no use to any other bike. It has happened before, that the dealer keeps the Race Tuner for future use of yours, but one way or the other they MUST tell you.....

Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Here's a pic of the entire kit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54654/8FA6379257DA438DA022C7C868669B0F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

I bought a new 2008 street glyde, I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\;dropped it off for exhaust work (stage 1 kit). Harley was supposed to install a race tuner, my question is where would this be located to confirm if they put the race tuner in or reprogrammed my ECM? (I paid for a race tuner) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kevin
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
The Race Tuner is a download to your ECM, not something you can physically see.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The Race Tuner is a KIT... Software and Interface key, or dongle... You can PHYSICALLY SEE, TOUCH, SMELL and even lick if you so desire.....
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The dongle is what allows the PC to communicate to the ECM of the bike... It does not stay on the bike, but it is a tangible component......
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
WTF is a bum scoop??&nbsp\\; I've heard more than one guy say the dealer failed to give them ANYTHING (CD, dongle, whatever) when they payed for a SERT, leaving&nbsp\\;them nothing to physically see.&nbsp\\; Sounds exactly like what happened to the OP.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

I bought a new 2008 street glyde, I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;dropped it off for exhaust work (stage 1 kit). Harley was supposed to install a race tuner, my question is where would this be located to confirm if they put the race tuner in or reprogrammed my ECM? (I paid for a race tuner) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kevin
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
The Race Tuner is a download to your ECM, not something you can physically see.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
WTF is a bum scoop??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've heard more than one guy say the dealer failed to give them ANYTHING (CD, dongle, whatever) when they payed for a SERT, leaving&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;them nothing to physically see.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Sounds exactly like what happened to the OP.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
Dude: My race tuner is in box in my tool cabinet. CD, cables, interface module. The dealer kept his equiptment. OR never got him one at all. I got mine form Zanotti's shipped UPS. The download programs are on the CD. I took it to the dealer, they dynoed my bike with it and returned the hardware to me when I picked up my bike.&nbsp\\; This guy is getting scammed. Big time.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Dude: My race tuner is in box in my tool cabinet. CD, cables, interface module. The dealer kept his equiptment. OR never got him one at all. I got mine form Zanotti's shipped UPS. The download programs are on the CD. I took it to the dealer, they dynoed my bike with it and returned the hardware to me when I picked up my bike. \\\\\\; This guy is getting scammed. Big time. [\\]
In fairness, some dealers think all you're going to do with the hardware is lose track of it, maybe mess up your bike trying to touch up the tune yourself, or worse yet take it SOMEWHERE ELSE to be tuned. And that reminds me. The other thing you need is a copy of the (tweaked) map that they downloaded. Because, of course, you can't read it back out of the bike.

BTW, I had to firmly ask for my hardware, CD, and map. Although I've always wondered if the map they hastily put on a floppy really is what's loaded on my bike.