Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tmax Experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tmax Experts

Recently, with hot weather and map #401 on softail I get pinging only on heavy throttle application. Otherwise none. I noticed that map#403 has accel fuel setting of 14.0 and map 401 is 10.0. Would&nbsp\\;accel increase&nbsp\\;cure the ping, or will I need to drop the timing a couple of degrees?
Ron

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tmax Experts

When you initially hit the throttle or through the whole rpm range?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM
rbabos
Banned

Ping appears to travel with the rpm increase, but reduces as rpms climb,&nbsp\\;which I guess would rule out the accel increase idea to some extent. Not sure if the accel would nip it at the the start so it gets over the hump?
Ron

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Run a movie noting throttle and engine speed. Make sure fuel isn't dropping lean. If it is, call tech for a closer map. if it isn't try just a&nbsp\\;LITTLE retard on the timing at the affected area only. And if you have been playing with the thing trying to get that 1or2 extra hp out of it, put it back to a map that works and be happy that it never ran that good before!

Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
rbabos
Banned

The maps richest point is 12.78 which could be the cause. Would going to 12.2 from 50-100% be a better afr to stop the ping? I have not changed the timing from base map, and it seems fairly conservative on advance. Map #401
Ron

Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Can you print the run chart and Email it to me? I should have asked, what kind of fuel are you running?
Dave

Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 PM
rbabos
Banned

Can't link to ecm with seat attached and laptop only works on ac.&nbsp\\; I just dropped 1 degree on 2560,2816,3072 rpms to see if it will make a dif. Good warm night, so I'll give it a test flight. While at it I dropped the initial fuel pusle to 245 , raised the idle to 960 and dropped the afrs to 13.2 at the 14 degree-0 tps range to try and eliminate the slight occaisonal pops at low speeds. After doing the settings and running it linked,the idle afrs seemed no different but maybe the autotune will adjust to the newer settings in a few miles. I did note that on rapid throttle the afrs dropped to the 12.5 area and constant rpms, plus idle were in the 13.5-13.7 range as before tweeking. Clean diagnostics, and O2s read 19.36, as per normal.
The warranty page is totally FOS. Claims 48 hours total with 11 starts. Other claims of times per rpms make no sense either. Can this page be wiped clean for a new start? Map has been rewriten about 3 times which could account for the weird info showing. Don't know.
Ron

Old 06-21-2008, 05:58 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

It all looks good. O2 working enrichment when pumping the throttle. I would not have taken such a big swing at it all at once. If you are still having problems, start with the map that worked the best. and take baby steps. I&nbsp\\;still highly recommend calling Zippers for the best passable help. You sound like you know what your doing and trying the right things. Just remember, I am no expert and without being able to see what is happening, I am even at more of a handicap.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
rbabos
Banned

Well, did the test ride and discovered the ping is still there. Mainly because I guessed at what rpms they were occuring. Since that, I've taped the grip and found pinging to be much higher up the scale. Will put the advance back to the previous marks and work on factual points this time. DOH. Idle increase worked and&nbsp\\;minor popping&nbsp\\;near idle that I had before is&nbsp\\;non existant now. What I found interesting is that with the tape on the grip and running in 5th and 6th at 60 mph the grip position is almost identical due to the extra load. I always felt I would be getting better fuel economy in 6 th at this speed but that may not be the case after all.&nbsp\\;Even having a tach would not&nbsp\\;show that .&nbsp\\;Obviously a faster speed will show the benifits of 6th, but loafing, no way. Have looked at many maps, but the 400 series seem best suited for my setup. With only moderate pinging, and I must stress it's only really&nbsp\\;agressive throttle in hot weather when it happens, it should only require one more timing tweek to make it perfect. Then I will probably drive it like a 56 year old should and stop beating the **** out of it.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;What I like about the tmax is that I can do all this for free.&nbsp\\;Takes a while to get on to how to do things and when stuck someone on this forum usually has been there done that if you run into a problem. I'll take your advice with baby steps and do one thing at a time in the future. Thanks for other advice too.
Ron