Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Injection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008 | 12:52 PM
blackcrowe
|
Stage I
Default Fuel Injection Problem

A couple of weeks ago I ran my 05 Softail Deluxe out of gas.&nbsp\\; Apparently the gas guage no longer works.&nbsp\\; Since then I have been experincing slight hickups as if gas is not flowing properly.&nbsp\\; It is most noticable when at cruising speeds, especially in the lower gears.&nbsp\\; Doesn't happen, or at least is not noticed, durring accelaration.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;It is not so dramatic that it seems as if the bike is going to die, but just slight misses.&nbsp\\; Just trying to get some feedback as to what I may have damaged.&nbsp\\; I am assuming it is a fuel injection problem, because i am assuming that it is not getting gas properly.&nbsp\\; It may be something else all together.&nbsp\\; Any thoughts would be appreciated.&nbsp\\; Thanks.

Old 06-11-2008 | 02:34 PM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Default RE: Fuel Injection Problem

I would check the fuel pressure first to be sure you have about 58psi (55 - 62) If not then it could be dirt in the fuel filter or filters.&nbsp\\;The filter sock on the pump is pretty good at keeping the big chunks out but when the fuel level is low then a lot of stuff that's loose in the tank can get sucked into the filter. The smaller stuff goes through the pump and will usually be trapped in the inline filter. If not, it goes all the way to the injectors and the screen at the top of the injector catches it.&nbsp\\;My experience has been that almost nothing gets past the inline filter.

It might be a good idea to change the pump inlet filter and the inline filter anyway, especially if the bike has&nbsp\\;more than 25 thousand miles on it.&nbsp\\; Some people will tell you that the pump is ruined by running the bike out of fuel. This is not usually the case since the pump quits running when the bike quits running and never really runs dry. The pump is cooled by the fuel around it and the fuel going through it, but will still be cooled enough by the fuel through it to protect it for the short duration of the low fuel condition.

Good luck.
BigWave