Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2008 Harley TPS and PCIII issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Lochness
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Harley TPS and PCIII issues

I have just found out that the reason for my Closed throttle setting on my PCIII keeps changing is that there is a problem with the TPS on the 2008 models. This problem is just coming to light regardless of having a tuner.

The problem I have is that my bike runs normal as stock.If Iput on slip ons, "big sucker" and a PCIII and my idle will become eratic and the bike doesn't run well and looses about 14 MPG if I don't reset the closed position each time I turn the bike on. The moment you reset the throttle position it will purr like a kitten at idle and hang on when turning the throttle (compared to stock).

The throttle position can be off as little as 1% and havea dramatic impact. You will see a difference of 500 or so between the closed and current throttle numbers between startups. This is seen by resetting the throttle running the bike and shutting it off, hooking my laptop back up to the PCIII and turnign the bike on. It will show this difference and sound rough. Quickly reset 0 position and it purrs like a kitten again.

Question is how to you get Harley to replace a faulty TPS when it is only dramatic when youare usingaftermarket warranty voidiing parts??

I have had occassional erratic idleand sticking throttle issues but the dealer just says if it doesn't do it here I can't fix it. So far he hasn't found anything. Fuel Moto has helped me along this far but where do I go from here? Anyone want a 2 week old Fuel Moto power package for an '08?

Beware out there and let me know what you people think.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
SK8ROD
Banned
Default RE: 2008 Harley TPS and PCIII issues

uhm,, well i got a PCIII on my 08 Street Bob and its been fine,, set the TP once and everything is cool, so it sounds like you got an issue there with the warranty ,, however 14mpg drop with a PCIII and zorsts etc isnt a shock,, i dropped at least that amount,, also every injected Harley i have ever ridden has had moments when idle seems a little high, normally when its a bit hot or been running a while, but they settle down again,, its not a big deal,, so i guess you need to figure just how extreme your problem is

Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, Welcome Aboard... Please post an intro in the NEW MEMBERS SECTION at your earliest......
&nbsp\\;
IRT you issue with the TP/MAP sensor on your bike... It's not the bike.....
&nbsp\\;
The PC is picking up what is called an "Operator Enhanced Calibration Change"......
&nbsp\\;
The Factory set-up allows the TBW system to be reset each and everytime it is turned on and off, by resetting to 0% Throttle... Meaning that if you are even TOUCHING the throttle, you are modifying the TP zero.... HD ECM picks up the change (New Calibration)after 3 consecutive cycles, and stores them as the new cal.....
&nbsp\\;
The ONLY time that the TPS reading changes is when the "OECC" , or also referred to the "Fat Hand Syndrome" happens... You are moving the Throttle when you are either Turning on of shutting down the bike..... Since the PC III interrupts the ECM Logic and sensor inputs/outputs, the rule of 3 is shot... Each time that you go to start up and shut down, the TP is changed, cause of your hand....
&nbsp\\;
To ensure that the bike is at 0% at start-up, you need to turn on the ignition, turn on the run switch, and not touch the throttle at all for 10 seconds... repeat this cycle 2 more times... Now the throttle plate is set at 0%, and you can reset the PC TPS...

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Lochness
2nd Gear

Thank you for your help.
&nbsp\\;
I do know about the "fat hand syndrome" and have had to reset a couple times because of old habits from non Harleys.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
When I shut things down I purposely use my right hand to shut everthing down.&nbsp\\;I also don't even sit on the bike to start it because&nbsp\\;I'm afraid of touching the throttle.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;So this should be eliminating any&nbsp\\;possible fat hand&nbsp\\;problems.&nbsp\\; This may sound stupid but could it be so sensetive that the harley shake and rattle on start up wiggle things enough to change the 0 slightly??
&nbsp\\;
Jamie at Fuel Moto was the one who told me about the varying TPS issues that have begun to show up on 2008 models.&nbsp\\; He recommended changing out the TPS and everything should be fine.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I"ll give the TPS reset a try and then fire it up and reset 0 throttle position on the PCIII and see what happens.
&nbsp\\;
The other throttle issues I have had are when rolling off the throttle the RPM will hang around 1,800 rpm for a second or so with or without my hand on the throttle.&nbsp\\; I just pull in the clutch.&nbsp\\; I've been riding or racing&nbsp\\;for 37 years on dirtbikes, streetbikes, 4 wheelers so I know this is not a normal situation.&nbsp\\; Dealer only says he can't fix what he doesn't see.&nbsp\\; It has happened about six times in the first 1,200 miles.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again for the advice.
&nbsp\\;