Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Does Anyone Know The Answer To This ECM Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
STROKER102
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Anyone Know The Answer To This ECM Question?

I have a 2007 FLHX with Rinehardt true duals, Big Sucker air breather,Vance Hines fuel pack. The bike has been intermitently stalling when coming to an idle. To rule out the Fuelpack I unhooked it and reconnected the stock ECM. I have always been told the bike would not run very good,with the stock ECM,True duals,and High flow air breather. It seems to run just as well with the stock ECM as compared to the Fuel pack. Even the plug color is the same,no pinging,coughs or stumbles. If this closed loop system is like my cars closed loopcomputer it should compensate for change in air intake flow,temperature,as well as exhaust temperature. So like my car when I install headers,exhaust and cool air intake it will compensate. Are We Being Scammed by Vance Hines,Screamin Eagle Race Tuner,Cobra? Can anyone answer this question?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does Anyone Know The Answer To This ECM Question?

More or Less you are right. The 2007 and Up bikes will adjust via their O2 sensors for most changes you do. However, a lot of owners are trying to make the bike run cooler and make more horsepower. The IED sensor modifiers look promising. They fool the Stock ECM to run richer so the bike will run cooler in closed loop mode. Not really a scam you just need to understand what you are getting.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:01 AM
STROKER102
Advanced

Anyone?

Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

ORIGINAL: wallyn

More or Less you are right. The 2007 and Up bikes will adjust via their O2 sensors for most changes you do. However, a lot of owners are trying to make the bike run cooler and make more horsepower. The IED sensor modifiers look promising. They fool the Stock ECM to run richer so the bike will run cooler in closed loop mode. Not really a scam you just need to understand what you are getting.
This has been a point of confusion to me. If youincrease the O2 bias (within its small limits), you will increase the fuel to air ratio slightly.If the IED sensor modifiers are truly just adding resistance, won't they lower the O2 bias voltage & thus decrease the fuel/air ratio?
GPM

Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
wallyn
Road Captain

Honestly I have not really thought about it all that much because I own a Pre-O2 sensor bike. There is a long thread about the IED's and I have only glanced at it. I am beginning to think that the stock ECM really is not all that bad when cruising it is the SLOW parade riding, traffic and idling that sucks on it. As long as you are moving I think you are fine, which is why it is legal to split lanes in California BTW.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
STROKER102
Advanced

Just like I said it runs very well on the stock ECM. I am going to dyno it with the fuel pack and withoutfuelpack (stock ECM). If my numbers are close and the air fuel ratio is close then I will Know the answer.