Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tmax help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 PM
RoadK45
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tmax help!!!

Can someone please tell me in basic terms how to change maps in the module when there is a exsisting map installed!!!! I think I understand but I just want to be sure im doin this right.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:26 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: tmax help!!!

It overwrites the existing map.Link up andsave the one you have now and stick it into the new folder option using the normal designation and only change the last few date numbers, should it be better than the new one you install. Next,clear learned offsets,clearlearned iac. These are stored in the module, not the map and must be removed prior to any map load. Write the new module maps and settingsyou have chosen to the module. Check the module basic settings and closed loop settings and make sure they are correct for you bike.At the bottom of each of these pages there is a write to module selection. DO NOT forget to do that. Go through the initialize thing of 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off 3 times, bring it to 285 and shut it down . Unlink, and go ride.
I realize the tuning manual is a pain in the *** to sift through, but it's all in there.
Ron

Old 05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
JustLoafin
Cruiser

What if I just want to tweak the existing map?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It helps if you have the 8 page installation guide. Steps 4 - 11 will get the job done.

http://www.thunder-max.com/Support/I...onManuals.aspx

In short the processfor installing a new mapis this (assuming you already know which map you are going to load):

1. Connect the laptop/ Open the software

2. Turn on the ignition and kill switch

3. Click on Link, wait for green light

4. Under the Map Editing Menu, Clear Learned Fuel Adjustments and Learned Idle control Adustments

5. Close the map that is open.

6. Pick a map using steps 3 & 4 of the guide.

7. Load the map. From the toolbar, click [File] [Write Module Maps and Settings]

8. Verify Module Basic Settings. Before performing this step, clear any active Diagnostic Code readings. While linked, from the Tuning Tree select [Module Configuration] [Diagnostic Codes].

9. With the handlebar switch in the ‘ON’ position, cycle the key switch on and off 3 times, leaving the ignition on and off for 30 seconds each cycle. DO NOT start the engine or move the throttle during this process.

10. After 3 on/off cycles, start the bike 2 times, letting it settle at idle for 10 seconds; the idle should be smooth and steady.

11. Without touching the throttle, let it run until it reaches 285 degrees (you should still be linked so you can click on monitor to see the temperature gauge).

You're done.

Rick

Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: JustLoafin

What if I just want to tweak the existing map?
Link up under file menu save the existing map if you wish. It will be a copy ofthe existing map with all your settings. Thenin map editing, read the module maps and settings. Make the changes you want and write the module map and settings back in. Unlink, turn key off. At this point it will tell you changes have been made and do you want to save them. You can choose no if you want and read and saveit at a later date if your are happy with the editting.From my understanding of this unit, the iac and learned offsets remain in the module, not the map, so initializing is not needed with a live linked edit session.If you clear learned offsets and learned iac , then it needs to be done which is the first thing to do for loading a new map. They are also cleared when battery power is cut off for the ecm as well, which is why it needs to be initialized once more, as the iac setting is lost. Not sure if the autotune module will also loose all the data for the offsets it has acquired over time with a power interupt and will have to start over. Hope not as that would really suck[:@]
Ron

Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM
RoadK45
Novice

Thanks for the fast reply and good info.