Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thinking about WOODS TW6>will stage2 download work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about WOODS TW6>will stage2 download work?

I've got a new 08 dyna, bonestock in the engine department except for thunderheader and airfilter. Haven't done the stage 1 yet because I'm thinking seriously about trying the Woods TW6 bolt in cams. I was wondering if the Stage 2 download would work with this combo instead of a pcIII (which I don't want at all) or a Thundermax (which I DO want but can't afford right now!) Looking for some advice from someone that may have used the TW6's and what download or program did they use.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about WOODS TW6>will stage2 download work?

If your asking will the bike run with the download only....the answer is yes it will run but it won't be optimized by a long shot. When ever you change the air flow of an EFI engine the fuel MUST be altered to fit the air curve....just adding fuel anywhere, like a download does, isn't the answe. You paid at least $15,000.00 for your bike...whats another $500.00 to $600.00 to make it run correctly and happy.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. Probably go with the Thundermax!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say which TW6 cams? If you are talking about the TW6HG then your Stage II map will be off quite a bit. Not to mention you'll need higher compression to optimize this cam along head work because the lift is .590.
The other TW6 (I don't remember the number) is a bolt in and might work ok with a stage II upgrade. I'd be comfortable with trying that in my bike.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 PM
manonthemon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 RKC, Race Tuner, V&H BigShot Longs, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and I just put in the Woods TW6 510 bolt in cam. Before I put on the Big Sucker and Cam I had a Harley Stage 1 air cleaner. I had the stealership do the download and the bike ran fine. I put in the big sucker and Woods cam by a friend who is an engine builder. He didn't remap anything road it, checked the plugs and it runs fine. I've been thru 1 tank of gas and looks like my milage is about the same at 36-39.

I did the CAM vs the head work because I had done a lot of research and the 05-06 models changed the valves and had better airflow in the heads already. I probabaly will do the heads next year when I have a few more bucks to spend on the bike. I did change the bearing and cam tensioners when I did the cam. I looked a gear drive and yea they are nice, but hell when you start digging into it it's 2K just for the CAM. I did my cam for $600bucks installed. I left the pushrods, you could use adjustables but then that's another $150bucks for parts. I also left the lifters. I only had 9K on the bike and my friend said the lifters are new enough they should not matter.

The cam has really added some spunk to the bike. It is significantly louder and has a much different idle (Sounds kick ***). I've had several comments on how good the bike sounds. It is border line crazy loud and I'm considering getting the V&H quite baffels just to knock it down a notch.

I've not had it dyno'd I'm considering it or if I am happy with how it runs I will have it dyno'd next year after the head work. I'm real happy with the TW6 510 cams.Extra lift and more duration. With an 08 and the longer stroke you should see a nice difference in torque. Probabaly 15lbs.

GOFOR IT. I'm glad I did!