Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Weird Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird Gremlin

I washed my bike very carefully (did not want water getting where water is not intended). Went for a ride the next day and the check engine light came on, the fuel light came on, the security light came on and the speedo went dead. Figured I was not careful enough washing. Stopped, restarted the bike, everything is OK. Fast forwared three weeks. Have not washed the bike and the day is warm and dry. Go for a ride and the same thing happens again. Stop, shutdown, restart, everything is now OK. Planning on having a talk with the dealer, but have the feeling this is going to be one of those elusive problems. I don't want to hear it is not a problem, any time a warning light is not working properly, it is a problem in my book. What are the opinons out there of what could be causing this?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weird Gremlin

Might not be a bad idea to pull the dash and put some conductive grease in the connections, you can get that stuff at the local Pep Boys...should help keep the water out and improve the connections at the same time.

Bone

Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM
skyking08
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with my 2000 Ultra where the check engine light would come on after riding about one block. i couldn't see why. On my bike you can clear the trouble codes by holding in the button on the odometer while turning on the Ignition. I had to take it to the HD dealer and they found that the battery cable connections at the battery were slightly loose. It would still start and run OK but would throw a trouble code shortly after riding a little ways. The mechanic said he never saw that before. Anyway now it is fixed and no more check engine light coming on. So check the tightness of your battery cable connections. That may be it.
Good luck

Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Turns out it was a turn signal error, they cleared the code while I was having the 5000 mile service done and that seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks to at least two people for answering.