Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EVO Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM
murf1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Ignition

Are the aftermarket / high output ignitionmodules and coils of any advantage besides higher rev limits ? I have a 98 Ultra Fuel injected with a Andrews EV27, SE slipons, SE air cleaner and Harley download. I realize I won't have any real power gains without doing some head work and other engine work, but am more interested in easier starts and smoother running, I also understand that the FI EVO is not the greatest system in the world, but its what I have ,so I just want to get it to run as good as reasonably possible. Biggest issue is cold starts , sometimes she hits right off, other times you have to hit the throttle, seems like its loaded up, once running it idles ok. when its warm it runs pretty good, but the throttle response is real lazy compared to my twin cam, and maybe thats just the nature of this FI system. What are your opinions on the different brands...SE, Crane, Dyna etc. Thanks

Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: EVO Ignition

The Ignition modules your looking at are not compatible with the MM EFI system. I don't know too many owners out there with the MM system that don't have this hot and cold idle and starting problems.....to be truthful when I see a MM EFI system I shy the other direction, they have been a night mare since day one. If you can find someone who has a technique to fix this problem keep him around because it has been my experience the MM system doesn't stay fixed.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
82SturgisFX
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EVO Ignition

I'm not sure why but I must be the 1% of happy MM owners,a 1999 FLHTC Stage II 95" and every pre FI bagger that has ever caught up to me has been impressed.
From Death Valley in October to Alaska and in the heat of Texas it has not given me a moments trouble (except once I had it in storage and a spec of something held the fuel pump from spinning).....
DoI wish it would idle at 600 rpm and sound like a shovelhead,yes,but it ain't.
I have never adjusted anything in the fuel system.
Does it get good fuel economy,no,do I care no.
Does it run a bit hot in Houston traffic,yup,do I care,yup,can I live with it......we'll see.
I am thinking of a PC III just to richen the idle in traffic,plus I can unplug it and toss it if it doesn't help.
I am a happy MM EFI owner.
PS I am running all SE HD parts no after market.
Maybe they do know what they were doing.......