Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

NEED PCIIIUSB for Dummies help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
salty01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED PCIIIUSB for Dummies help

Ok , here goes, does this thing come with something to hook it up to the laptop or PC to download maps?

I have one on a 06 SG with whatever map the dyno guy put in it. It pops ondecell frequently and even going up thru the gears when shifting. Sometimes it just gurges like it should.

Its a stock 2006 SG 88ci with a stage 1 download from HD. I have rinehart slip ons and a K&N style filter.

I think it pops too much. So how do i hook up to a PC, download a canned map or someones godd one for my combo please?

thanks for any and all help!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEED PCIIIUSB for Dummies help

Well welcome to PCIII for Dummies This is the place to get a lot of free information.

It sounds like your installer just installed the PCIII and loaded some base map. Your PCIII should have come with a USB cable and a 9 vlt adapter. This is all you need to hook it up to the PC. You can load the software free from Dynojet. There are free maps you can download and try on your bike. Just remember to save the data on your PCIII to your PC before you load a new map otherwise you lose all of the previous data.

Your bike sounds like it is Very Lean if it is popping and surging. Look on the dynojet site for a richer map by comparing your current map to the ones available for download.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

You need a laptop, the PCIusb software and a USB cable to plug between the laptop and the PCIII.

it could be that the throttle was never set to a zero throttle setting. Many mechanics just bolt the PCIII on and then charge you for it, they know less about them than you do. So you need to start there.

if I were you and you are not too computer savvy then I would look for a friend, or a service guy familiar with the PCIII to do the 0% throttle setting and full throttle setting. Also take a look at the currently installed map on the PCIII which will show up on the laptop when you connect it and turn on the bike, or connect the 9 volt battery.

Either way, it isn't hard but you need to read the directions, get the PCIII software and get a little familiar with it.

Here's a tutorial on setting the throttle. http://fuelmotousa.com/SetThrottle.swf

Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 AM
SK8ROD
Banned

+1 to all the other posts & dont worry its an easy thing to play with, connect it up to the laptop and once you have your map just click the send button map button, couldnt be easier but its an important point that the PCIII will hold one map so any you send will overwrite the existing. In your current situation that doesnt sound like it matters but either way i would save the map on the PCIII first before opening up a new downloaded map and sending to the unit,, i know all this is obvious but hey, i am just trying to bump up my post numbers

Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
salty01
Tourer

Thanks for the help...now if I had a laptop.....

And i runa MAC in the house, well I am headed to see this guy on Tuesday again, I'll collect my 9v adapter and disk.
I built the map on his own but when I decell it pops and snaps and when i shift up the same thing.
Setup is common enough, rinehart slipons, K&N style hi flo filter. STAGE 1 from HD in the ecu/

Running to lean for sure i think the map i need is M807-125
Thanks!