Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT success at last!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT success at last!

Some of you here will remember that I was experiencing difficulties getting the map to download to my bike's ECM. First, I had loaded the SERT program onto an IBM "Thinkpad" only to discover that what I thought was a serial port was actually for a monitor instead. It had USB ports, which meant I needed an adaptor. Once I had an adaptor, I then discovered after trial and error that I also required drivers for the adaptor...sheeesh!

Round three - Drivers installed, but now it wouldn't download the "Bootloader", which meant NO MAP DOWNLOAD WAS POSSIBLE. Search of the Help files showed that in some circumstances an additional program would be required from the MoCo in order for the SERT to function properly with some laptops. The IBM Thinkpad was named specifically....."CRAP!"

Round four - $hit can the IBM, get a DELL. Install the SERT program. Attach laptop to ECM. Download map! It was that simple! Now I have a map installed as a baseline prior to getting the bike dyno'd.

Maybe my experience here will help someone else from having to go through all the trial and error that I went through. Just stay away from the Thinkpad!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: SERT success at last!

Glad you got it all worked out. I've been wondering what had happened. Let us know how your dyno time works out.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:38 AM
R Horn
Cruiser

Good deal, glad to hear it all worked out.

Rich

Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Thorns
Cruiser

Never ever give up! WTG MAN!

Thorns

Old 02-26-2006, 01:23 AM
billybobber
Cruiser

Congrats.... I know the feeling well!!

I had a similar problem. In fact i have 2 toshiba laptops i borrowed from work (1 fairly new, the other 8 years old) neither worked due to no serial port and/or too old operating system windows 95.
My fix was alot cheaper than yours. I went to a computer supply store and bought a 75 foot male/female serial port cable similar to the one that comes with SERT in order to reach the garage and just plugged into my desktop PC serial port located on the back of the tower and i was in business 5 minutes later. What u huge difference in performance. I also richened up the canned map as well on all the AFR cells that were at 14.6 down to 13.9..wow.....

Old 02-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah, I've been tempted to tinker with the AFR, too. It did run well yesterday, though, with the straight download, but not that much better than the downloaded map I received at the dealer along with the stage I.

It would be kind'a nice if we could exchange maps on here, wouldn't it?

Old 05-20-2007, 03:52 PM
htc
Tourer

Abaut same situation with SERT 4.6.2. (the kit is G but the CD is revision J), 25 % done and bootloader error. I used RadioSack USB to Serial Cable kit (30 and something USD) and it took the win and alljust finebut then came the bootloader error. At that point nothing went to the EFI so no harm done ;-) Next the older HP laptop WITH actual serial port (+ SERT cable) and everything went just fine.

The bike is 07 Super Glide Custom(International)with older SE II pipes and SE air and the map I loaded is 159QD001-A1.MT6 with active intake disabled. Not ready yet, some tools are missing but I will post the result and feelings when its done...

Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

Search of the Help files showed that in some circumstances an additional program would be required from the MoCo in order for the SERT to function properly with some laptops. The IBM Thinkpad was named specifically....."CRAP!"
Just curious, Where did you find this info? I couldn't find anything like this withthe "HELP" tab. Was there a website you checked out?

Old 05-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Still looking for fuel management because if the MOCO is that fare behind the times with hardware, their software must be even further behind. For now no more money goes to HD
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a IBM t43 thinkpad with a belkin usb to serial adapter and it worked fine for me. Not sure why yours didn't work.