Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Anyone With IEDs/XiEDs Still Getting a Little Surging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone With IEDs/XiEDs Still Getting a Little Surging?

Anyone still getting a little bit of surging at slow speeds or decelwith steady/light throttle? I've got a SERT with my O2 bias tables maxed out, which is the same effect as the XiEDs, and I still get a little surging with the SE mufflers,less to no surging with the stock mufflers. The improvement of the SERT is awesome but the slight surge is still there on very light or decel loads.

I love the added sound of the SE mufflers but the slight surge is annoying.

Anyone with the IEDs notice the same thing?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 AM
bezoar
Tourer
Default RE: Anyone With IEDs/XiEDs Still Getting a Little Surging?

sorry no one's answered your question. I'm about to install a set of V&H slipons and XiEDs on Sunday. I'll be curious to see if I experience the same thing. I'll post if I do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38807/89FBC457CAA245E5B4854E9534E208E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
dynaguy
Cruiser

I put IED on when i put slip-ons , A/C on and run around for a about 3 weeks with no problems. I got a hd download for a prenst. Left IEDS on just never took time to take them off. Bike runs strong.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

I have not had any problems with them. Check my sig pic info for what I am running. The bike is running very strong and smooth with my set up and XiED's. I'm sure as with any fuel management each person will get different results based on their set up. That being said I think that over all you can't beat the XiED's for cost and final results.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Moby
Cruiser

I have the IEDs installed. I get surging when I first start out. I believe this is due to the engine not being fully warmed up. I let the rocker heads get warm to the touch; but still get surging when I start out. After the first few minutes riding, no surging. So, I don't thing the surging is because of the IEDs; but I could be wrong. This morning I let the bike idle while I checked out of the hotel and put on my helmet, gloves, and rain gloves; I still had surging but only until out of the hotel parking lot.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 AM
bezoar
Tourer

OK, put my XiED's on along with V&H Oval slip ons. All I can say is WOW, does it sound better.
No surging noted but idles kinda fast.
Put a bead of Permex Ultr Copper on just because ahd re-used HD clamps. Broke both arms tightening them down but no leaks/no decel popping.
It may be my imagination but it seems a little less aggressive when pulling through the lower gears. Maybe my imagination???
Also put on the Mini Beast-nice sound!!! One thing though, the directions show slipping the wirs under a frame suppor, BUT there is no way that can be done on my 08 RK. Had to improvise but all worked out in the end. I REALLY like my 08 RK now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38807/042AD384A89C41FCBE7EA56982EBF1D3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badbs101:

The best person to help you with the SERT and XIED set-up is Rider57. PM him and I'm sure he can help you with the surge.

bezoar:

You might want to try and re-set your FBW throttle. Usually with the IED's or XIED's, your idle will go down. Some times when you shut it down, if you have your hand on the throttle or rev it a bit when you shut it down, the FBW thinks that that's where zero on the throttle is.

With the kill switch in the "Run" position, turn the ignition from "Off" to "On" 4 times with 3 second intervals before going back to off. This will zero out your FBW throttle.

Try that and see if your idle comes down.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 AM
loc
Cruiser

Ok I'm confused. I see people running the FuelPak AND the XIED. Why would you want to do this, they both basicly do the same thing, so why both units. After the $100 nightrider and the $200 Fuelpak you could of purchased a PCiii.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading 39 pages about these devises and learning about the "closed loop" and "open loop" on my 07 fxd I use both-- the Xied which covers the closed loop and fuelpak which covers the open loop part of the efi. I have no hd download which I understand would cover the open loop of the efi. ---Instead I use the fuelpak for open loop coverage. Hope this info helps and is not to confusing.