Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'06 EFI/ECM service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '06 EFI/ECM service bulletin

I have not had any problems starting cold with mine, however, if I do not give sufficient warm up time, mine stumbles on first take off, and I have to feather the clutch to avoid it. Does this sound like the cold start problem refered to? My bike is bone stock, and no other running problems. Since the factory is now installing the different injectors, I guess I would like the upgrade as insurance that I have the best suited parts for the best running engine. I have not asked my dealer to perform the change, but I'm wondering if they will balk at doing it since it runs fine as is. For those of you that had it done, did your dealer give you a hard time (did you have to prove you had a lean condition before they agreed to change injectors)?

I'm assuming the problem is worse if you have a stage one upgrade, as you require more fuel for correct Air/Fuel Ratio, but have any others had problems with stock bikes?

Appreciate your comments!![sm=biker.gif]

Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem and talked to my dealer yesterday and will be dropping it off to get them replaced. they gave me NO problmes..so far

Old 03-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Matt115
Advanced

I've only ridden my '06 Rk Custom for 5 miles now, but I did notice that it felt like it was coughing around 45mph in 4th. Almost like it would if you were trying to come to a spot in a high gear without pulling in the clutch. Then I found this post. I checked the injectors and I do have the 8 degree ones.

So I'm going to talk to my dealer about it. They put in the wrong injectors at the factory to try and meet EPA laws, and now they have a problem. The bike might run okay now with them in, but how long before the lean-running condition burns up the pistons rings, or something else? I'd think they'd want to fix it now, then fix it later when it could do more damage.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flying Pilgrim

I have not had any problems starting cold with mine, however, if I do not give sufficient warm up time, mine stumbles on first take off, and I have to feather the clutch to avoid it. Does this sound like the cold start problem refered to? My bike is bone stock, and no other running problems. Since the factory is now installing the different injectors, I guess I would like the upgrade as insurance that I have the best suited parts for the best running engine. I have not asked my dealer to perform the change, but I'm wondering if they will balk at doing it since it runs fine as is. For those of you that had it done, did your dealer give you a hard time (did you have to prove you had a lean condition before they agreed to change injectors)?

I'm assuming the problem is worse if you have a stage one upgrade, as you require more fuel for correct Air/Fuel Ratio, but have any others had problems with stock bikes?

Appreciate your comments!![sm=biker.gif]

These modifications to the bikes here are an upgrade to deal with a known problem brought about during the manufacturing of the vehicle in the factory as a result of tighter EPA standards. I would suggest that the upgrade be done by the dealer to replace the injectors with the upgraded ones even thou you feel you do not have this problem as long as the dealer will go along with it.. There have been many instances where I have test ridden a vehicle that has needed some sort of adjustment or repair that the owner was not aware of that drives the vehicle frequently. Usually a mechanic will see things that even an owner is not aware of because he knows how that vehicle should run from a comparison of other vehicles that are similar. If your dealer will replace the injectors for you without putting you through the usual "we didn't see anything wrong", I would suggest IMO to have the replacement done along with the remapping of the ECM which is part of the upgrade. Many of the problems with drivability in these bikes are all due to a lean map or jetting, depending on which system you have. They can all be corrected to run much better than the way they come from the factory with a few modifications.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

Thanks, TC. Respect your knowledge, and appreciate your help!
[8D]

Old 03-03-2006, 07:16 PM
kevin1716
Intermediate

hey tc--what if the bike has a power commander---would the remapping of the ecm do any good or would i have to get a special map from dynojet to accomodate the new injectors? i think the power commander over-rides the ecm--i may be wrong-----------------

Old 03-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

I called the service mgr at my dealer and asked him about performing the injector swap. He knew nothing about the service bullitin. I faxed him a copy, and first thing he says is: "Where did you get that?". He very nicely agreed to do the upgrade, but made the comment that they prefer not to have it publicized so lots of people that don't need it don't come in demanding it be done. He was really cool about it, though. He indicated that they do have to go through the flow chart of analysis, 'cause HD requires all the stats on each bike they do it to. Thanks again for bringing this issue to the forum, and providing the info.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:51 PM
steyve06flhri
Stage II

i also have an "06" flhri which has been giving me the same problems everyone has described since i bought it last fall. even when i give sufficient time for warmup, it will still stall on me especially on warm days. prior to the service bulletin coming out, i had my bike into the dealer 3 different times with the same answer, they know of the problem but to date do not have a fix for it. hopefully, this will fix the stalling and stumbling i sometimes encounter. i talked with my dealer today and they are aquiring the injectors and will replace them once they come in. the service mgr also stated that the remap is the stock map so you might want to check with your dealer if you have the stage one kit installed. i still have mine stock but will go to the stage one once they have fixed this problem. as for the one gent who had his dealer tell him not to tell anyone, i think everyone who owns an "06" big twin should be aware of this and the bulletin that has come out. i found out about it from a friend who told me about it and turned me on to this site. hope this helps... ride safe and keep the shiney side up......

Old 08-26-2006, 09:46 PM
MC3164
Novice

You have been helpful in the past and seem to be very knowledgeable. My question is this; Having had the 8* injectors changed out for the 25* injectors when motor was all stock was a big improvement. Now I'm adding a Power commander, stage 1 intake and Screamin Eagle 65115-98B slip ons. There is an exact map in the Power caommander database under M807-218, however with the 25* injectors will this map be too rich, I believe these maps were done at the intoduction of the 06 year when all had 8* injectors.
I say this because the response just off idle feels a liitle fat, with a slight hesitation, as if it can't take the fuel fast enough. The map seems OK in the mid range, although I believe it could be a little more crisp. Eventually I will get it Dynoed, but in the meantime, I was hoping for some suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Dragonsoni
Advanced

For those of you who have had the injectors replaced on a stock bike, what are you impressions?

How much cooler is you engine running and performance?

Do you feel this is a real fix to make the engine last longer and run better?

Thanks,
Dragonsoni

Quick Reply: '06 EFI/ECM service bulletin