Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII ... is it true?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:00 PM
HDMomma
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCIII ... is it true?

Was talking to a friend of ours today. He has an 07 Ultra.When he bought it, the dealership told him he needed to put a PCIII on it. Now two different HD dealers are telling him that he shouldn't put it on, that HD is finding out that after a couple of years after the PCIII is installed, the PCIII's are damaging engines in some way. Is this true? Of course, they suggest the SERT. My husband and I told him we didn't think that was true, that the stealer was just trying to make a sale of their own product. Anyone heard anything about this, because we just installed them on both our bikes this last summer. Hoping this a HD BULLCHIT!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PCIII ... is it true?

I do not believe the PCIIIs are causing ECM failures. The dealers just like to blame it on the PCIII units. Since the 07's have 02 sensors the Serts are better a better option than the PCIII. The Niterider unit also looks promising.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDMomma

Was talking to a friend of ours today. He has an 07 Ultra.When he bought it, the dealership told him he needed to put a PCIII on it. Now two different HD dealers are telling him that he shouldn't put it on, that HD is finding out that after a couple of years after the PCIII is installed, the PCIII's are damaging engines in some way. Is this true?
In one word, no.

Of course, they suggest the SERT. My husband and I told him we didn't think that was true, that the stealer was just trying to make a sale of their own product.
Very perspicacious. That's the first thing that occurs to me, too.

Anyone heard anything about this, because we just installed them on both our bikes this last summer. Hoping this a HD BULLCHIT!!!
It may not be HD bullchit, but is unknowledgeable dealer bullchit. You hear some weird chit coming from dealers.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:31 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed many PC3 in the last four years. I have never seen one make an engine take a sh??????t. Maybe shops or people that do not know how to tune one can cause engine damage. Thats crap. have someone how knows how to install one and tune it for you you will fine..... good luck