Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike stumbles under power

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Cicero
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike stumbles under power

2003 SE Deuce with only 2200 miles
Rush Slip ons and PCIII from FuelMoto - otherwise stock

Yesterday the fuel pump fuse blew. I replaced it and now the bike stumbles like it is runnning out of gas. It idles fine and drives okay for the most part. It does not stumble more when accelerating, as I might expect if the fuel pressure was low. I only drove about ten miles since. I was pretty far from home but only a couple miles from a dealer, so I dropped it off. I haven't heard back from them yet but I prefer to fix my own vehicles. So, I am working on a Plan B in case I am not comfortable with their response.
I have had the bike a couple months and have put 800 miles on it with no problems until now.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Bike stumbles under power

My question would be 'why did the fuse blow'?The circuit would have to be taxed to blow the fuse so my guess would be the pump binding up or shorting out.....but that's just a guess.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cicero: It may be a simple as resetting the ECM. Not sure how that is done with the PCIII. With the stock ECM: "Try cycling the power 4 times with the throttle grip in the idle position. This allows the ECM to relearn the zero postion of the twist grip sensor. Then make sure your throttle grip is not sticky...which can cause issues if it doesn't return to the zero position every time. It can also learn the wrong position if you shut your bike off with the run stop switch...with your hand on the grip. "

Old 05-03-2008, 06:14 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 2003 Duece with only 2200 miles. You probably have a fuel pump issue. Fuel is pretty crappy now days. It will start to varnish and gum almost as fast as you pour it in the tank. THe new 5 - 10 % alcohol levels in today's gas is just enough to loosen deposits and clog up the works even more. There is a thread on the forum about changing the fuel pump and the fuel filter.

If you do not ride very often you should add some type of fuel stabilizer to the tank every fill up.

Good Luck

Old 05-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Cicero
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. This has been resolved.

Some stupid idiot (me) mounted the PCIII in such a way that it was damaged. I am currently running on the stock ECM and no problems other than a bit of popping on decel.