Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax issues???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM
rodmodder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thundermax issues???

I dynoed by 2002 RG last weekend and was disappointed in the results. I have a thundermax with autotune but I don't know what firmware I have. Attached is my dyno report card. For those of you that have done this before, I assume the areas where it is a wavey line are the areas that are not tuned properly. So the question is, How do I get it tuned properly in those areas? Judging by seat of the pants the bike runs great. I have a 95" with stock heads, S&S gd 570 cams, true duals, ANBS. I am not trying to win any competitions I just want a nice smooth curve. The harley guys smelled blood and were all too quick to let me know how they could tune those valleys right out but that is why I bought the thing, I don't want to give them any more money than I have to.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
JustLoafin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax issues???

Just a few things to think about before you go too nutz!!!!!

I was initially disappointed in my T-max until I talk to the guys at Zippers. One thing is for certain, this device can take a bit of time before it gets dialed in. Its hard to get accurate dyno readings on this thing unless you rideit like its on a dyno all the time.Dyno pulls are far different than real life riding. If you do full dyno type pulls on the road, over time it will adjust itself to smooth out those valleys you see. The reason dyno tuning works on PCIII's, SERTS and the like is that they are static tuned. They don't adjust themselves over time. Either they are right or not. That is the beauty of the Autotune feature. I have never Dyno'd my bike but I can tell you that over time the bike is running better and better and my fuel economy is improving greatly. So far I have been proven wrong about my initial feelings about the T-Max. If you have questions about the T-Max don't hesitate to call them. I have found them to be extremely helpful!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you link up, go into efi maps at the top. Click on module map information and it will give the map designation. Send the dyno results and map# to Zippers and they will probably tell you the cause of the dips. Could be an update for the map you have or maybe a different map would improve it. Hate to see a Harley tech totally screw it up only to find out the exhaust don't get along with the cam, or something stupid like that. I'd talk to the guys that wrote the map first for ideas.
Ron

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
rodmodder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured that if the seat of the pants feel is what I want then the dyno be damned. I may tweek some of the percentage settings but for now it still runs good and I am glad I bought it.