Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

8 degree injectors....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:01 PM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8 degree injectors....

...finally acting up? Havn't had any issues with them for over two years. Power commander installed and working flawlessly for about the same amount of time with a map from fuel moto. I'm getting the intermittant backfire on decel. Not all the time just every once in while. Concerned since once the power commander was installed this problem was solved. Also on cold starts it runs for a few seconds, spits thru the throttlebodies then dies. Did this four times the other day. One day starts fine cold then after sitting a few hours spits on start. Next day hard to start cold and starts fine hot. Could this be the 8 degree injectors finally acting up after two years of running fine? Confused. Taking it to the dealer (kicking myself the whole way) tomorrow. Wish I didn't have to but if it's an 8 degree injector problem that should be fixed under the recall. Only thing I should have to pay for would be a dyno run since the current map I have now is for the 8 degree injectors. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 8 degree injectors....

do you think it is just this tank of gas you got? seems odd to me. I had mine changed for the same reason you are talking about but it happened pretty quick.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:38 PM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser

I thought gas first thing. I filled up with nine other bikes at the same station the day it started. No one else had problems. I've since ran three more tanks of fuel thru it from different stations and it's still an issue.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
bwr52678
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to get the 8 degree injectors changed out to the 25 s i have a 06 street glide ran good for 2 years had a cough spit and spudder as time went on got worse like falling on its face on take off intermittently and also stalling just had them changed out on this thursday had my powercommander taken off went with race tuner and a re dyno gained 6 more horse and 9 on the toruqe my bike has never ran so good i thought i had bad gas but i new after three tanks of gas it woulld clear up and did not i also had alot of decel popping all of that is gone now i am very pleased the ***** is i hope you are still under warrenty or have the extened warrety because the injectors are about 100 a pop and a hour and a half to put in all it cost me was a 50 dollar dedudable good luck.........

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser

Got the injectors installed today. That was not an easy task since the warranty ran out. First they said it was not a recall item and I could pay to have them installed. I said I tried to get them fixed when the bike was under warranty but was told the bike is not showing symptoms of injector problems and it would be covered even if the warranty ran out since it is a recall item if it developes a problem later on. They said (and this is a different dealer) it is not a recall item but a service bulletin. I told them that is basically a recall for people who knew about the problem screw everyone else, not a good practice. I also told them that if I leave here today and have an accident where it is determined that a faulty fuel injector caused me to lose control of my motorcycle HD would be fully responsible for that.
They made a phone call and covered the new 25 degree injectors under the emmisions system warranty. They reflashed the ECM for the new injectors without a stage 1. Dyno'd the bike at 77.20 HP at 78.60 ft lbs. What a big difference.