Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electrical Gremlins...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008 | 05:50 AM
Badbagger
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Default Electrical Gremlins...

Posted this over in the touring section as well and hoping for some input.

Just looking for some general guidance on an issue. I just removed the fairing on the bike and installed two amplifiers. One for the front speakers and a second for the rears. Crimped all the wiring etc and working like a charm prior to reinstalling the outer.

I put the outer back on last night and when I was done, no radio at all. I figured something shorted so I checked the fuse and it is fine. Then I turned the ignition switch to the on position and nothing... usually the odometer will show up etc. Then I moved it over to the accessory position and it acted like it was in the "run" position. Odometer showed up like it would if it were in the "On or run" position etc.

When I put the outer back on, it was a job to get it on and I removed the head light bucket to be able to see the hooks but we still had a bit of a fight with it. I did not remove any other wires from the main harness etc.... just head light wires etc and prior to reinstalling it, everything was fine. Headlight goes on in the accessory position. The only thing I don't think I did was to re-wire tie the harnesses back together prior to installing the fairing and I am getting some funky things going on in there from that... pinched wires causing it? Funny thing today, turned it to the accessory position and the radio came on.... I was kind of thinking the harness came out of the back of the radio on me.

Ever had anything like this or any thoughts? Taking the outer this evening to have a look.

Old 04-27-2008 | 08:46 PM
rjrivero
Tourer
Default RE: Electrical Gremlins...

When the key is in the accessory position, you should have brake lights, and the guages should light up. Is that the case?

When you put the bike on ign, you should have lights. When you flip the run/stop switch, then they should prime the pump,etc..

Did you have pull out the ignition switch? Sounds like something in there is causing the issue.