Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII Map for stock 04 RKP and firmware update probs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII Map for stock 04 RKP and firmware update probs

Just got a PC3 from another user here. Decided this would be the first step to modifying my bike. So the motor is stock, stock pipes, stock air cleaner... I found a stock map (M807-001), but it was for a 2002 RK. Farther down the list, I found a map for a stock 05 RK (M807-145). I loaded this map onto the bike, but wanted to make sure I did it right.

Open map
Send map
Send Table

Are the tables a part of the map file, or how does this work exactly?

Also, I tried to do a firmware update for my unit, and it kept telling me update failure. However, it will read and write maps with no problem.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:54 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PCIII Map for stock 04 RKP

That looks right, You also need to set your throttle values on the PC3. You will need your 9vlt adapter to properly set the throttle value.

If you want to make sure you set the table you can unhook the PCIII and then reconnect it and hit get map. It will then download the map from the PCIII. After that hit compare and then open the map you wanted to load. it will show you what values are different.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Okay, I went out and reprogrammed the throttle position. That was easy.

Now, when I try to update the firmware, I get a communications error. I tried different USB cables.

As for the map, I did a compare of the 001 and 145 maps, and it didn't show any differences. However, I might not be reading it right.

It's probably not doing much anyway on a stock bike.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

Do you have the manual for the PCIII, updating the firmware is usually for updating the module to a newer internal operating system not for uploading settings that would be done with "Send Map" If you don't have the manual I will send it to you.

Bone

Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Yeah, I got the manual. I also know what firmware is. (I'm a computer geek as well!) This firmware is an update for the PC3USB. When I try to load the firmware using the Power Commander Tools > Update Firmware, it asks me for the file, and then when I tell it the file, it tries to update, and then gives me a communications error 0x002a (or the like) and that's it.

When I try using the update program (also on PC's site) it just errors out when you give it the update file.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

Ok sorry 'bout the assuming your not a geek stuff, my PCIII software is version 3.2.1, the patch from them might be a bad load from their site, ya might want to save what you have (maps and stuff)un-install the utility and install the latest version of PC software, then retry uploading the map...just a thought.

Bone

Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I tried with two different computers. Once on my main computer, and then again on my laptop.

One thing I did notice, my check engine light stays on longer when I first start the bike... it does go out, after maybe 6-8 seconds.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an older PCIII with a firmware of 1.whatever you can not upgrade to the newest level of firmware with the USB cable.

2.0 and up can be upgrade using the USB but anything earlier needs a special hardware encoder. You will only need to use it once. Dynojet sells it for$40 or you can call dynojet and send in your PCIII and they will do it for free you only pay for shipping.

The check engine light seems to be finicky on my bike as well. Nothing is wrong but it is complaining none the less. HD tech said everything looks OK.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

That explains it... My firmware is a 1-something... So I guess it is off to DynoJet to be reprogrammed!