Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Pipe Bluing too much????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
cwalms
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe Bluing too much????

Any help will be appreciated. I have a 2007 Low Rider and installed 3" Khrome Werks slip-on as well as the stage 1 high air flow kit. My local dealer said I needed to get the SERT and have the bike tuned because of the modifications. Being new to the world of Harley's and not wanting to cause any damage to my new scooter I followed the dealer's advice and had them install a MAP from the CD that came with the SERT. They put the bike on a dyno after the download, but not before so I don't have a baseline comparison. THey also didn't do any adjustment on the dyno just the download. The map they installed is 159AE003. Anyway, I have noticed that my pipes are bluing all the way down to where the muffler's slip on and I do get some popping in the lower gears on decel. Typically it's 2nd and 3rd where I get the pop not so much in 4-6. Is this bluing too much? and should I be concerned? My local dealer says it sounds excessive and I should have the bike dyno tuned to the sum of $350 bucks. I called another dealer about 100 miles away and they said that they may of gotten close with the stock map, but they should of fine tuned the bike on the dyno seeing how that's the major benefit of a SERT. They also tell me that they will dyno tune the bike for $140 bucks. I was told it should take no more than 2-3 hours and if it went longer the charge will be the same. So my next question is does this sound reasonable or too good? All I want is for the bike to run right. Again, any help will be greatly appreciated. I also have a copy of the dyno that was ran on my bike if any one is interested please PM me with your email address and I will be happy to send it as I can't figure out how to insert it on the forum.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pipe Bluing too much????

Sounds like they have it running to lean. Take out a spark plug and check the color. If the plug is white, your running lean. The plug should be a light tan color. You may have to get it re-tuned.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 PM
cwalms
Cruiser

Yep, I am going to have the bike dyno tuned this week. Thanks for the response.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

I went through all that BS with the dealer and wasted a lot of good money. Now they want to Dyno tune the Bike. By the time your through you'll have spent close to $1,000 including the race tuner.

Nightrider has a product called an XIED. It's is so simple and easy to install and raises your closed loop mode from 14.7 AFR to 13.8. Here's a thread now running close to 30 pages of all the people who have discovered this device and love it. The best part is it only costs $109.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2836828/tm.htm The Best Bang For The Buck.

I don't work for nightriders. Just a very Happy Customer.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:20 PM
cwalms
Cruiser

Thanks Cruiser. I wish I would of known about this before I bought the SERT. I'll post the results of my tune later this week.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

It's never too late. Right now your looking at several hours on a Dyno at Eighty some odd dollars an hour. The XIED's only cost $109.00.

I realize your stuck with the Race Tuner cause once you use it, any other Bike can't. But you have benefitted in some ways from the generic map you downloaded. It's just not rich enough.

The Delphi system is a good system. It's short comings are closed loop mode where HD had to program it to meet EPA standards. Nightrider realized this and went after a cure to fix the lean closed loop portion of it. The open loop like when your running wide open throttle ranges between 12.8 and 13.1 as seen at the tail pipe. Considering the majority of time your riding in closed loop, Nightriders fix for this portion of your ride made perfect sense. His XIED uses a voltage divider to send an altered signal to the ECU. When the ECU thinks it's going 14.7, in reality it's really going 13.8 AFR.

I have 27 pages of documentation of member after member who tested this simple little device. The results were over whelming. Everyone was amazed at the obvious improvements. Better throttle response, better acceleration, and best of all the Motor ran significantly cooler. That was with the original IED that brought the AFR down to 14.2. Then Nightrider went one step further and came up with the XIED. The best way to describe it is an IED on Steroids. It drops the AFR to 13.8. The results are truely amazing. They install in minutes, and cost a whopping $109.

The Best Money you will ever spend.

Good Luck which ever way you choose. I sincerely mean it. Like I said before I have been where you are. I blew a lot of money trying to achieve what I now have that cost me a mere $100. My Bike runs the way I imagined it should run when I first saw it sitting in the showroom.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Purchasing a SERT is not necessarily a bad thing. In the hands of a competent tuner it's anexcellent tool. If and before you have it tuned, here are 5 Questions to ask your tuner, by Doc 1.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
cwalms
Cruiser

Thanks Bert. The 5 questionsare great. I saw that the other day and and printed them off. I am having my bike dyno tuned tomorrow at 1pm. I am going to try to post a before and after dyno charts.

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
cwalms
Cruiser

Here is the dyno chart from todays tune andI couldn't be happier. It believe it was worth the 3 bills to have it done. Here is the chart comparing before and after. Remember the before was from the stock map they downloaded last year. Peak HP was 80.2 up from 72 and Torque was 91.3 up from 83. I hope these are good gains. I could definitley fell the difference in throttle response when I picked the bike up. Thanks again for the feedback and I would appreciate any comments on the results.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26820/F5437F66FCB743019F7189FDEBB59A7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Those look like good gains to me!

If the bikeruns good (no decel popping of pinging) and you're happy, then that's all that matters.

Quick Reply: Pipe Bluing too much????