Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax - First Thing You Would Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
otcauctions
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax - First Thing You Would Change

Greetings,

I have a 2007 Ultra, with SE Air Cleaner, and V&H Oval Slipons. Stock HD Headers.

I just installed a Thundermax on Monday, and can't say how much I am impressedwith it. (Thanks Bart - Shooter64)

Instantly removed the Decel Popping that I could not get rid of, and the Dyno guy at my local dealership said could not be tuned out with my SERT.

Anyway, I am in the process of getting mileage and letting it settle in and fine tune. Since my goal is long rides, I would like to get some improvement in gas milege, and performance is good now.

So with the groundwork laid, I move back to my original questions.

When you installed your Thundermax, and got past the first 250 miles or so, what is the first thing you did or would do to make improvements? I have not tweaked the basemap (don't remember the number off the top of my head).

So, all you Thundermax users. What is the best improvement you did to make your install better?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I have read a majority of the Thundermax threads here on the forums, and that was the main motivation for moving to the Thundermax, but trying to find specific improvement comments and suggestions in the volume of messages is difficult in that I am a normal guy and get easily distracted by all the other information in the messages.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thundermax - First Thing You Would Change

I do not have a thundermax but did some research on them as I was deciding what to install on my own bike.

I would set the bike to lean out in the powerband of your normal crusing speed. So, determine what your throttle position and RPMs are at your normal cruising speed and then lean out the bike in that area. People have said you can safely run 14.2 or 14.5 when cruising. Your mileage on your bike should go through the roof. You may need to run a little richer if it is really hot but at cruising speed your should be fine with normal airflow over an engine.

I think you can set specific AFR's for different power bands with a thundermax. Hopefully someone with Thundermax experience will chime in.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
otcauctions
Intermediate

Thanks, that was what I was looking to do as well. I figured I needed to run a little bit before I changed anything, but we wait to see if any of the guys running a thundermax for a while have any insights as well.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The ThunderMax tuning manual has a whole section on tuning.

Since you're looking for mileage you'll need to raise the AFR. If you want to view a map that gets pretty good mileage (made for 1200 Sportsters) take a look at #390 . It has AFR of 13.831 at low TPS settings and as you roll-on it gets progressively richer.

I don't know what map you're using but alot of the BT maps have flat AFRs around 13ish which is great for performance but hard on mileage. You can start to raise the AFRs at your cruise range alittle bit. Watch out for pinging when you start leaning out that area. If you do then you'll have to reduce your timing by a degree or two in that same TPS area. General 'seat of the pants' tuning. Many of us TMax users do this this way. Call ThunderMax, they will give you ideas and know the ins and outs.

If you want a perfect setup you could take it to a tuner and have them put it on the dyno and since the basemap is already setup, it would take them no time for them to "massage" that map and make it leaner at cruise....

Start small and test and learn and keep asking questions. You should be fine.

I get a constant 42/49mpg city/highway on my Sportster.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
otcauctions
Intermediate

thanks for the suggestions. I am reading the tuning manual as we speak. I was looking for the experience of the group to point me in the correct direction.

Thanks again for all the help

Old 04-25-2008, 10:09 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi-
I would like to see a catagoy for TMAX here that would combine ALL of the Tmax posts etc under 1 roof, so all could benefit.

For me- (I am not a wizard ) and I would like to have a better feel forworking with myTmax.

I recently had the Red Shift 575 cams installed so thetmax is "tuning", and at a point soon- i would like to ba able to see if I can get some mpg out of my ride. I'm getting 30 mpg max at present and think even with the cams I ought to be able to get something better.

Cheers,

Mark