Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC III Startup question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 PM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PC III Startup question

kblend, I just installed my pc111 this morning and I also thought the same exact thing you stated. Install and ride. I took it for a ride and what a difference from the v&h fuel pak I had on. Noticed the difference in the throttle as soon as I started her up, and also she's idling at a much lower rpm. Sounds unbeleivable. I'm not even sure if the throttle is set as I didn't even hook it up to the laptop yet. I'm with you brother, should I check it out on the laptop or leave it alone. Is there any detailed instructions out there on how to do it if I got to? Thank You for any feedback. Ray

Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

KBLEND and Fatboy,

You need to be hooked up to the bike with a laptop when it is running. If the throttle percentage is not reading 0% when the bike is idling then you need to re-set the throttle position. Powercommander has a great tutorial on their website. Its very easy and only takes a couple of seconds to do.

J.B.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
fatboy1729
Road Captain

J.B., Thanks for the reply. I'm not really that advanced into computers but I do have a laptop and willing to try to get this tutorial downloaded. I'm just worried about the map fuel moto put into the pc111. Will I lose it if I start opening and downloading any info from this cd. And is it that easy to set the throttle according to the tutorial? And if I have to reset the throttle it shouldn't do anything to the preset map already installed into the pc111? Because so far the bike runs awesome. Can't wait to set the throttle tomorrow. Thank You for all your info . I really appreciate it. Ride safe Ray

Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any time you hook up to your PCIII with a laptop you should load a copy onto your PC and then save it to disk, I always save a copy as current MAP as well as tuning dateso I can tweak it when ever I want.

I paid for a Dyno that did wonders but I think I can tweak it more for Mileage. Most tuners tune a bit rich for better horsepaowr numbers.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 PM
fatboy1729
Road Captain

Wallyn, thanks for the advice I'm new to all this but learning very quickly. Thanks Ray

Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 AM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Setting the throttle postion is very easy and fast to do.

Here is how I did it. Turn on computer, plug in the USB cable to the PCIII, plug in 9 volt battery, plug in USB into computer, Turn on ignition and the run switch on handlebar. (I did not turn on motor) open Dyno jet program, Go to the power commander tools under the tool bar, select throttle postion, There you will see the % sign in the upper right corner. Click the little arrow to the right of the closed postion then press OK. Closed postion is set. To set open postion press the small arrow and turn the throttle all the way open. Hold for a second or two and then press OK. Now check the % should read zero with hand off throttle. Read 100% when you open the throttle all the way open. Your done. Turn off bike power, unplug and go ride.
You can also save your map in the power comander to your lap top also. Easy to do. Just make sure you send the map back to the power commander again.
I bought my PCIII from Jamie also. It was a good map. Ran well. No popping or anything. I took it to a tuner on friday to see where the map was. It was OK within the safezone as far as being to lean. Ran better than the HD download. Like any canned map there is room for improvement. I decided to have it tuned with a custom map done. I can tell a noticable difference through out the power band. Better throttle response. Runs even smoother. Aside from the added 9 HP and 10 lbs. of torque that I was able to get it just runs better. I am not about HP numbers Just wanted to haveit run as well as it could. I had no complaints on Jamies map, just improved on it a little.

Here is a link on how to set the throttle postion also. Call Keith at fuel moto if you get stuck. Very cool and helpful guy. With the Tech support, price, double warrenty and access to all the maps they have I don't know why anyone would buy a PCIII anywhere else.

http://fuelmotousa.com/faq.htm

Old 05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
JoeSwiatek
Advanced

ORIGINAL: 05 HD Deluxe

Setting the throttle postion is very easy and fast to do.

Here is how I did it. Turn on computer, plug in the USB cable to the PCIII, plug in 9 volt battery, plug in USB into computer, Turn on ignition and the run switch on handlebar. (I did not turn on motor) open Dyno jet program, Go to the power commander tools under the tool bar, select throttle postion, There you will see the % sign in the upper right corner. Click the little arrow to the right of the closed postion then press OK. Closed postion is set. To set open postion press the small arrow and turn the throttle all the way open. Hold for a second or two and then press OK. Now check the % should read zero with hand off throttle. Read 100% when you open the throttle all the way open. Your done. Turn off bike power, unplug and go ride.
You can also save your map in the power comander to your lap top also. Easy to do. Just make sure you send the map back to the power commander again.
I bought my PCIII from Jamie also. It was a good map. Ran well. No popping or anything. I took it to a tuner on friday to see where the map was. It was OK within the safe zone as far as being to lean. Ran better than the HD download. Like any canned map there is room for improvement. I decided to have it tuned with a custom map done. I can tell a noticable difference through out the power band. Better throttle response. Runs even smoother. Aside from the added 9 HP and 10 lbs. of torque that I was able to get it just runs better. I am not about HP numbers Just wanted to have it run as well as it could. I had no complaints on Jamies map, just improved on it a little.

Here is a link on how to set the throttle postion also. Call Keith at fuel moto if you get stuck. Very cool and helpful guy. With the Tech support, price, double warrenty and access to all the maps they have I don't know why anyone would buy a PCIII anywhere else.

http://fuelmotousa.com/faq.htm

05HD Deluxe, why do I need to send the map back to my PowerCommander after saving it to my computer? Also, if I understand correctly, are you saying that it is NOT necessary to have the engine running when I set the Zero throttle position? I'm new to this whole business, so please pardon my dumb questions.

Joe

Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

Joe

When I had fuelmoto on the phone asking about saving the map to my computer. He talked me through it while doint it. After saving it to my computer he had me send the map back to the PCIII.
I tried it first with the motor running and without the 9v battery. I was getting a signal before saving the setting that is was below therecomended setting. I think I was not opening the throttle all the way or not holding it for long eneough. I then did it without the motor running with the 9v battery and it worked fine. I have read doing it both ways on here. I just perferred cracking the throttle wide open without the motor running. That is the way fuelmoto suggested also.