Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC III Startup question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Default RE: PC III Startup question

Thanx all for the tips. How critical is it to set the closed throttle position? Can I take it for a short hop b4 doing this? I don't have a laptop; bike is in garage, p.c. in basement office. I'm trying to figure out how to get the two together. I believe this has to be done on the bike.
Anyone got a 50' usb cable?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2whlr4life

Thanx all for the tips. How critical is it to set the closed throttle position? Can I take it for a short hop b4 doing this? I don't have a laptop; bike is in garage, p.c. in basement office. I'm trying to figure out how to get the two together. I believe this has to be done on the bike.
Anyone got a 50' usb cable?
maybe not critical for a few rides but over time, yes...you need to set it properly, it's not hard to do but must be done...have a friend w/ laptop?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member

Friend? You're one, ride on over (w/laptop). Beers cold & on me.

I'm trying talk a non-rider friend w/laptop over. That PC III sortware is'nt that large.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
jhoyda
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USB cables carry power in addition to signals. Therefore, 10ft is usually their max length. Anything beyond that requires hubs that boost the power back up. You could always carry your PC into the garage and set it up, a PITA for sure!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To set your throttle position, make sure you have a brand new 9vlt Alkaline Battery. The PCIII will suck that baby down fast if it is not new. Laptop is the easiest. Plug USB into PCIII and then plug in the battery. Turn Ignition swtich to ON and make sure the kill switch is on RUN.

The throttle position should show on the home screen. Cycle your Throttle to see if the value changes. If you are reading the throttle select the tool to set throttle position. Set the Zero value and then the 100%value, accept the changes. If you do not see throttle values, check your 9vlt battery and your kill switch. Try seeing if you can see the values with the bike running.

Hope that helps

Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member

+1 Wallyn.
That was just the info I was looking for. I knew that USB cables are short (under 10') for a reason. I'm still trying to get a buddy over with his laptop. Moving my p.c. to the garage to do this isn't really an option.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
ultrarod
Novice

I know this is old news but I am trying to decide whats best to beat the heat on my 07 ultra. I am planning on installing fuel management system just trying to decide which one. I have already installed V&H slip ons, oil cooler, stage 1 and syn 3. Helped a little but still hot so I guess I am forced to spend the $$ on a fuel maagement system. Any thoughts on which is best and should I still get aftermarket O2 repalcements are can I leave the OEM ?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Something I saw at Radio Shack today... a way to extend USB via a Cat5 cable. Could buy one of these, and a long network cable...

Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: jhoyda

USB cables carry power in addition to signals. Therefore, 10ft is usually their max length. Anything beyond that requires hubs that boost the power back up. You could always carry your PC into the garage and set it up, a PITA for sure!
Five meters is the max on USB cables, but like you said you can install a booster hub that'll give you another 5M if you need it. I think you can daisy-chain them for even more length.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:37 PM
kblend
4th Gear

I thought when you get the map from fuel moto all I had to do was install and ride, what will setting the throttle do. and could i have more detailed instructions

Quick Reply: PC III Startup question