Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Anyone with experience w/HD garage door openers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts
Default Anyone with experience w/HD garage door openers?

Just tried to wire up an HD garage door opener on my 02 XL. I do not seem to get a siginal to the transmitter from the opener receiver. Anyone have any experience with these units.
I am new, just signed up and have not done any searches regarding this topic yet.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks!
Denny

Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Anyone with experience w/HD garage door openers?

First off, Welcome Aboard... Post an intro in the NEW MEMBERS SECTION at your earliest...

When you turn on the High Beam, does the LED indicator on the GDO transmitter turn on and off?????

Is the reciever installed correctly to your GDO unit????

Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

I have everything hooked up proper....I believe. The only exception to the instructions is that I bought a reset switch for the speedo and ran the wires originally designated for the headlight wires to this. This should be toggled to activate the gdo rather than the high beam switch. I reset the receiver and held the button for a lenghty piece of time thinking perhaps there were many codes to go thru? I have tried with the bike off and turned the ignition on (to supply power) and same....nothing. It almost acts like it is not receiving a signal from the receiver on the opener. We are sitting right beneath the unit, so if the signal was weak, it should still pick up something.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Spartanden

I have everything hooked up proper....I believe. The only exception to the instructions is that I bought a reset switch for the speedo and ran the wires originally designated for the headlight wires to this. This should be toggled to activate the gdo rather than the high beam switch. (So, you still haven't answered the 1st ???? Does the LED light on the GDO Transmitter activate when you press the button??? Prolly not.... If you are going to re-engineer an existing product, ensure that the mods that you make are going to work.... There is not enough voltage to activate the GDO Transmitter... BTW, What are you using for your power source???That micro switch is only designed for a low voltage/low amperage current.... ) I reset the receiver and held the button for a lenghty piece of time thinking perhaps there were many codes to go thru? I have tried with the bike off and turned the ignition on (to supply power) and same....nothing. It almost acts like it is not receiving a signal from the receiver on the opener. We are sitting right beneath the unit, so if the signal was weak, it should still pick up something.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Nope.... I did not notice the led indicator come on when the switch was toggled. However the instructions say to push the set, or learn, switch on the receiver at the wall outlet, then the transmitter would blink or light up. I guess maybe there may be something to do with a little power from the headlight wires that would activate something, while the power sourc(which is a keyed source) would probably allow the unit to work when the ignition is on. I'm not an electrician, so some of these thoughts are either hard to comeby or I don't know enough to think about them! I guess tomorrow night we'll be doing something different. The transmitter should have some source of power I suppose for the led to light up.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope.... I did not notice the led indicator come on when the switch was toggled. However the instructions say to push the set, or learn, switch on the receiver at the wall outlet, then the transmitter would blink or light up. I guess maybe there may be something to do with a little power from the headlight wires that would activate something, while the power sourc(which is a keyed source) would probably allow the unit to work when the ignition is on. I'm not an electrician, so some of these thoughts are either hard to comeby or I don't know enough to think about them! I guess tomorrow night we'll be doing something different. The transmitter should have some source of power I suppose for the led to light up.
The "Hot" wire is the Orange/White wire... When the key is on, that energizes the GDO...

The Yellow and White wires are the "Signal" wires, and are energized when the High Beam switch is activated from low to high and back.... When the High Beam switch is moved, you will see the LED signal flicker...

Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Bob, I guess I'm really confused here now. Per the instructions "Press and hold the Set button on the HD garage door opener receiver. The LED on the transmitter blinks continuously while the set button is pressed.
Turn the motorcycle ignition switch to IGN. Operate the headlamp beam switch using one of these sequences.......

So I am taking this to say that once the receiver set button is pressed, the LED should light ub and blink on the transmitter. But if there is no power to the transmitter.... So I'm kinda confused.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Bob, I guess I'm really confused here now. Per the instructions "Press and hold the Set button on the HD garage door opener receiver. The LED on the transmitter blinks continuously while the set button is pressed.
Turn the motorcycle ignition switch to IGN. Operate the headlamp beam switch using one of these sequences.......

So I am taking this to say that once the receiver set button is pressed, the LED should light ub and blink on the transmitter. But if there is no power to the transmitter.... So I'm kinda confused.
You press the button on the reciever, the led flickers on and off.... The Bike ignition is turned ON, then you switch the Hi/Lo button to marry up the rolling codes....
1. Refer to the Service Manual and follow the instructions
given to re-attach the negative battery cable.
2. Check that a red LED is illuminated on the front of the
Harley-Davidson garage-door opener
receiver, indicating
power to the receiver.
3. See Figure 24.
Press and hold the Set button on the
Harley-Davidson garage-door opener
receiver. The
LED
on the transmitter [font=helvetica][size=1]blinks continuously while the
Set button is pressed.[font=helvetica][size=1]
4. Turn the motorcycle ignition switch to IGN. Operate the
headlamp-beam switch using one of these sequences:
• with headlamp on LO beam, switch to HI, then LO
• with headlamp on HI beam, switch to LO, then HI
When the receiver receives a signal from the transmitter,
the LED on the transmitter turns off.
5. Release the Set button on the receiver.
Troubleshooting
Reset the receiver using the following steps:
1. Unplug the receiver from the 110-Volt power outlet.
2. Wait ten seconds.
Press and hold the program button on the receiver,
While holding the button down, plug the receiver into
the power outlet. The red LED will flash rapidly.
4. Release the program button. The receiver is now
reset, and all memory is erased.
5. Re-program the receiver. See “Programming the
Receiver and Transmitter” on this page.
WARNING
WARNING
[font=helvetica][color=#231f20][size=1]
Headlamp switch toggled but
garage-door opener does not function.
Does LED on motorcycle transmitter
flash when switch is toggled?
YES NO
Verify proper connections
to motorcycle power wires,
headlamp wires and ground.
Verify LED on garage-mounted
receiver flashes ONCE when signal
is transmitted from motorcycle.
Verify receiver is properly wired to
existing garage-door opener unit.
[

Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If/when you give up on the HD gizmo, do a search and read all the posts regarding using a regular garage door opener wired to a small pushbutton mounted somewhere on your bike. It's easier, cheaper--and works.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Bob...that's where my problem is...the led doesn't light, blink or flicker on the transmitter (on the bike) when the set button is pushed. I don't know if the transmitter needs power to allow the led to light or not...tried with ign off and with it on.

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience w/HD garage door openers?