Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Anyone with experience w/HD garage door openers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Anyone with experience w/HD garage door openers?

ORIGINAL: Spartanden

Bob...that's where my problem is...the led doesn't light, blink or flicker on the transmitter (on the bike) when the set button is pushed. (It's not going to blink on it's own... It needs POWER [That reset button that you purchased and spliced in the Yellow and White wires I hope] to trigger the RF signal....) I don't know if the transmitter needs power to allow the led to light or not...tried with ign off and with it on. (The instructions SPECIFICALLY state that the Ignition switch is ON, and while the reciever button is pressed, you MUST toggle the activation circuit to allow the signal to be generated....)
Wire it up correctly.... Yellow wire from GDO to Yellow Headlamp wire.... White GDO wire to White H/L wire..... Black GDO wire to ground and Orange/White GDO to O/W (Switched Power) in main harness.....

Old 04-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

Thnks Bob.... I got some work to do tomorrow night.... Looks like I be tearing out the front end wiring and wiring to the headlamp switches. I'll let you know how things turn out tomorrow.
Thanks for the help....hope you're still around the next day or two!!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Bob... finally got around to doing what I did not want to do and that is tap into the headlight wires. Went into the headlamp today and spliced in the wires per instructions. Everything is now hooked up per instructions. The only thing left is to get some help and have one person on the set switch up on the opener, and me trying to see what we can do to get the rest of this going. Will advise what happens shortly.

BTW... I typically will walk away for a day or two once I begin to get frustrated. This is not one of those things that keep me from riding, and the bike is not down, so we wait until I'm a bit more calm!
Thanks for the input thus far...
Denny

Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
skr8pn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is perfect timing. I also used the hacked and freebie style garage door opener. Here is my install for it: http://skr8pn.blogspot.com/2008/03/h...or-opener.html. The functional part of it works but being located under the "dash" isn't working to hot. It only seems to work in my garage.

So my only question is where does harley say to mount the remote itself? That would help me a lot and then my total out of pocket is like $10 for the opener.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

skr8pn....destructions say to mount under seat, as far away from oil bag as possible. Keep heat away.
The unit is mounted and complete now. Sent letter to hd cust serv and other than re-read the instructions to me and look for a manufacturers phone (which they could not -maybe would not-find) they were not of much help.
Unit did not seem to function the way the instructions indicate...but it does work. I have to toggle the headlamp switch 2-3 times, but door does open. I am happy it works, but disappointed in the unit and instructions.