Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Eddie4Harley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel

Hello boy's,
I just build in the T-Max, withthe new Samson D2-971B sinister (ceramic) black Street slashers, on my '07 StreetBob.
I loaded (recommended by Zippers) map 393,and went for a one hour test-drive.
I got pops on decel to![:@]
After reading this topic,I'll will load map 403 and takethe bikefor an other spin.
I will let you know the results.....................[8D]

Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, 403 is in and I put about 30 miles on it. Still getting an occassional cough/miss/belch when I rev (blip) the bike.

Kindamakes me think the injectors didn't know I was going to blip.

Never happened on 393, happens to me on 401 and 403.

Thoughts?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:01 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick: The ballanced engine would require settings to overcome the extra drag from the weights however there is no real difference between the two maps that either engine would notice. It's been mentioned several times on how friggin gutless the balanced engines are compared to rubber mount. That dif is only1-2 hp and about 2 lbs of torque. Not even noticable by the rider. I get no lag or cough or beltch on mine with the 401. There is a small flat spot in rpm just off the idle however but I can only hear it when very slowly moving the throttle up with the bike sitting still in the garage. My guess is the timing advance curve needs some smoothing out from the idle to 1500 area. If you are a blipper this area may show some of the problems you have. Take a look at the 393 timing in this area that worked for your style before and maybe incorperate that curve. The 1024-1536 rpm afr maps could use a smoother transition as well as they are somewhat abrubt. This is called custom blip tweekingor tuning to your style. Most of us will never see that problem. While in there, drop the afrs from 1500-0 rpm to 13.2 to remove the low decel pops. Theoretically these changes should fix both of your problems in either 401-403 maps.
Ron

Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Eddie4Harley
Advanced

Hello guy's,
I promised to get back to you with the results.
I went for a (1 hour drive) with the 403 map, its awsome![sm=yeahsmile.gif]
No more pop's or backfire, even at home, when I turned off the bike, no more engine ticking by cooling down![sm=smiley20.gif]
I wonder,if it get warm (while riding) at all![sm=smiley36.gif]Ha,ha,

That's a good thing...................or isn't?

Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Koppster
Tourer

Ron,

"There is a small flat spot in rpm just off the idle however but I can only hear it when very slowly moving the throttle up with the bike sitting still in the garage. My guess is the timing advance curve needs some smoothing out from the idle to 1500 area. If you are a blipper this area may show some of the problems you have."

That's where I get the flat spot/belch/cough/miss, just off idle in rolling conditions (i.e. when I pull in the clutch to downshift and roll to a stop sign, etc.).

I'll pull up 393 to do a comparison in the range, might be obvious.

Otherwise, I got no issues with 401 or 403, they got rid of the pops and the bike accelerates strong and cruises smoothly. Loud Silk! Love it.

Eddie,

No flat spots off idle on yours?

Rickster Sends...

Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 AM
rbabos
Banned

Rick , in normal driving I cannot detect that flat spot. I don't bip any more.In the garage with the engine idling and I slowly rotate the throttle there is a spot where rpm is reluctant to increase in proportion to grip rotation. It is just off idle somewhere around 1200-1400. Mind you this is a guess as I wasn't linked when I first noticed it. From there on in, it's smooth and progressive with the throttle. Going to play with the maps for both light decel pop and that flat spot since weather sucks at the moment anyway. If it works, I'll pass on what changes were made. As in your case I was in traffic the other day and on a couple of occaisions when shifting out of first I got a fairly loud pop as the engine came to idle for shift to second gear. This was a first. Cause would likey be from the same reason as the light decel pops but the extra heat in traffic may have amplified the problem. Since it's only going to get hotter as the year goes on, I'll see if I can make it go away.
Ron

Old 05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
dannygo
Stage III

Could someone post what their afr vs. tps@rpm pages look like after richening the first 14* of tps?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Eddie4Harley
Advanced

not that I'm aware of...............

Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: Koppster

Okay, 403 is in and I put about 30 miles on it. Still getting an occassional cough/miss/belch when I rev (blip) the bike.

Kindamakes me think the injectors didn't know I was going to blip.

Never happened on 393, happens to me on 401 and 403.

Thoughts?
You could try dropping the accel fuel level in module basic settings by two points. Sounds like a blip fix to me. If for some strange reason it gets worse, go two points up from where you originally started. This acts like an accelerator pump in fuel injection.
Ron

Old 05-12-2008, 02:23 AM
Koppster
Tourer

Will do.