Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel

I will try 403 and let you know. It is a real pain to load a new map so I will do it eventually. What I don't understand is with auto-tune, the computer should optimize itself, right? So in theory I could have map xyz loaded and it wouldn't matter because after enough miles the computer should have optimized its own map, right?

Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm beginning to believe it's not that simple. I'm of the opinion you have to start with a base map that is a good match for your bike.

I'm thinkin' if you start with a good foundation map, T Max might be the best closed loop "learning" product.

Thus, you don't need to dyno but you do need to start with a good fit.

To say you can start with anything and T Max will eventually learn it all and work things out is probably not true.

Rick

Old 05-04-2008, 04:21 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see the auto tune smooth the maps out, but not rewrite them to your bike. It's not that smart.Rick, the pops you describe are similar to mine and the same light load situation. If you can identify the upper rpm and throttle position, drop the afrs from that map down toatleast the 256 rpm mapin the area of 13.2-13.5 and it should clear up. Presently it's in the 13.7 range if I'm not mistaken. It won't take much to stop it. Doubt the final drive had anything to do with it. Probably different weather and atmospheric pressures had an influence on it.
Ron

Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

OK, I loaded #403 and what a difference! I only rode around the block, but I immediately could see a difference in the engine. Smoother idle, better/faster start, better acceleration. Also, in the basic settings I left decel fuel = 0, meaning no decel pop software control. And even with the decel=off, I could not produce any pops like before. I will know for sure on the next long ride, but so far so good! If I get some popping, I will set decel fuel = 1 and see how that does.
One thing I noticed in the basic settings, there are differences between map #393 and #403.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
rbabos
Banned

I see there is a difference between 401 and 393 in cranking fuel , idle rpm, and home position. Don't know why considering it's the same power plants and these differences mainly apply to starting and idle. Two degrees dif in timing at startup may play a factor in this, but not likely. Other than the 393 having a slighty higher idle speed, don't think you'd notice otherwise. 401 and 403 are very similar overall but the 393 is considerably different in many areas.
Ron

Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just want to add a simple chec: Be sre you don't have ANY exhaust leaks at your heads, or muffler clamps, youWill get popping on decel if you do...just a thought.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Koppster
Tourer

Ron/Jeff,

I hadn't noticed the settings difference for the idle but I did notice it on the bike, much nicer that 393 which I believe is too high.

Ron, I'm okay with those pops, pretty rare I'm in that situation. Might play with the AFRs just to learn how to do it.

Jeff, keep us posted on 403, I may switch only because of the differences between softtail B motors and the Dynas. I am doing fine with 401 but 403 might fit even better.

Labfreak: Good point on the exhaust gaskets, I changed mine early on and it helped a little. The basic problem we are finding is Zipper's reccomendation to use map 393 is not a one size fits all. That map was built for FLHs with "true duals". It might work great for those bikes but it cause pops/backfires during decel on our bikes. We're using maps 401 and 403 with great success. In fact, the maps were made for our bikes so its curious why Zippers is not reccomending them.

Rick

Old 05-05-2008, 06:17 PM
rbabos
Banned

Koppster:Just went out for a quick ride before the rain. It just amazes me when I twist the throttle on how well it runs. Tried to figure out what rpm it would pop at and it seems like around no more than 1300. Probably closer to 1200 as a guess. It burbles more than anything and the odd time I might get a small pop. Not sure, but it may have diminished with driving to some extent as I had to make several attempts at it.Auto tune or not, I don't think it can tune it out, but stranger things can happen. Must have been the type of weather or something. I will also wait and see as it's no biggy anyway. Hell even if we teak out what pops there are and maybe later increase the mpg, there will be something else to work at. That's just human nature. On an other note, have you noticed how cool your engine runs with tmax?
Ron

Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

OK. Map 403 rocks! I have the firmware v4.5 Decel feature still turned off and the bike is like night and day compared to map #393. Very slight pop with 403, kinda nice, actually. Map #393 with decel pop turned on was aweful. The bike really runs a lot better, too. I love the way it accelerates and idles and starts, etc.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Koppster
Tourer

Jeff,

Thanks for the update. I'm going to swith to 403 tomorrow (developed for/on Dyna motors).

401 is working wellwith one exception:I get an occassional cough/flat spotwhen revving, wasn't there with 393.

Thinking it might be that 401 was developed on/for softtails and they have the counterbalanced motors.

Thanks,
Rick

Quick Reply: TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel