Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel

On mine, when it starts cold it's usually on the first revolution, unless I've cycled the key more than once, which adds more than normal cranking fuel. Each cold start starts normal and in about 5 seconds it gets lumpy sounding. About 5 more seconds it clears again to smooth idle slighty faster than the hot idle of 960 rpm. Once hot the idle is stable and steady but during the warmup it tends to slighty vary it's speed. Could use a bit of tweaking in the idle speed vrs temp map so it drops to normal idle sooner, but havn't found it annouying enough to bother with. The stock unit was worse in both cold and hot. Sometime when a hot start was done after sitting around for a few minutes it would start fast, drop to normal, and then go back up to fast just after taking off. After a minute it would go back to normal, but would make me look like I didn't know how to use the throttle. Tmax hot starts are normal and predictable. By the way, do you have less comp knock with the tmax When you start the engine than the stock ecm? Most people refer to it as starter knock. I have none any more and I'm not sure if it was the comp mod or the tmax as both were done the same time.
Ron

Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Map #403 is doing well on mine and similar attributes that Rbabos mentioned. The more miles I put on, the less I even notice an occassional pop on light throttle, low rpm coast.

I initially tried a BS intake, but was suspect of the quality it it. I went with the SE model for the '08 and it improved it a bit more - must have altered the air flow a little.

Mark

Old 05-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron/All

Racked up 100 miles on the new map (401) this morning. Zero pops, zero backfires, even when I tried. I'm a "near believer".

Bike runs very smooth and loose, not sure there is any performance difference over 393. Might be a little less bite in the throttle or maybe just my imagination. I'm a blipper so.... :-))

No issues starting cold or hot. Can't tell the difference.

Rick

Old 05-03-2008, 11:50 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 400 series maps seem to be good for the fairly stock setups. Don't know why more people don't use them? Glad it was successful in your config.
Ron

Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 PM
rok312
Tourer

After reading some of the posts in this thread, I decided to give map #403 a try. As mentioned in my earlier post above, I was feeling pretty good about map 393, but was having to deal with some popping issues among other things. I got it tuned such that they went away, however, I began to think about the fact that 393 was built for an FLH with Rhinehart True Duals. Those pipes, although 2-2's, aren't exactly the same as Dyna pipes - especially in length from front to back. Plus, a bagger, despite having the same motor, isn't exactly the same as a Dyna. Since 403 was built using a Dyna, I thought maybe it would be worth giving it a try. I figured since I saved the changes I made to 393, I could always go back. Anyway, in the process of remapping over to 403, I took a look at the differences between the two maps. For one thing, the timing maps between the two have quite a few differences. The AFR maps weren't 'drastically' different, but 403 seemed to have a softer curve to them through all RPMs.

After uploading 403 and going through all the initialization routines, I took it for a spin. Right away, I started b1tching to myself that I didn't go with this map to begin with. It ran great at all RPMs, no sluggishness at lower speeds in lower gears like I had with map 393, and best of all, no popping whatsoever. Can't wait to see how much more it improves at it tunes over time!

The reason I overlooked map 403 was because of the exhaust setup, being that the map was built with stock head pipes and slipon mufflers. I have a full system. However, in hindsight, I think the fact that the map was built with a Dyna, with 2-2 pipes, matching size/length exhaust at least 'close' to what I have in a full system, was more important than "slipon vs full system" and made all the difference.

Sounds like Zippers typically recommends 393 for Dyna riders with setups such as those of us posting in this thread - they ought to rethink that from the feedback I'm seeing above, along with the experience I've had. 401/403 maps...good stuff!

Thanks, Koppster and rbabos, for keeping this thread updated with thoughts/results.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, I don't getit either. I loaded #393 after reading this forum after I installed the Reinhardts on my Dyna and it really pops. Firmware v4.5 helped a little. I asked Randy about 401/403 and he didn't know anything about these affecting decel pop. I rode today and noticed that I get the popping at exactly 2500 rpm when I close the throttle. Maybe I will try a 400 series map. I have a 2007 Dyna with 2-2 Bub/Reinhardt staggered and of course hi-flow intake.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Just looked at 401 and 403 and what exactly is the difference between them?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 PM
rok312
Tourer

ORIGINAL: harley_jeff

Just looked at 401 and 403 and what exactly is the difference between them?

401 was developed on an FXST (softail) and 403 was developed on an FXD (Dyna). Other than that, they look almost the same. Don't think one could go wrong trying either one.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Koppster
Tourer

ROK/Jeff,

Yeh, I have some of the same questions about why Zippers reccomends 393 for Dynas, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I didn't look at 403, ROK is correct, 401 is for a soft tail but it is working well on my bike.

Jeff, my bike has a near identical setup to yours, I'll be interested in hearing how 403 works for you. I have Rinehart 2-2 staggered pipes and a Big Sucker air cleaner.

Keep the posts going, want to hear.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 05-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Koppster
Tourer

PS:

I did get 401 to poplast nightbut I'm not sure if the riding situation or changes to the final drive ratio caused it.

Changes:

After I rode yesterday morning I changed my Final Drive Ratio to 84 (default is 87) because my 6th gear light was not coming on. It works now.

Situation:

In stop light to stop light traffic, doing 35mph in 2nd, slow roll off will result in 2 or 3 pops.

Not sure if it was the change to final drive ratio (big doubts) or just the riding situation.

Rick

Quick Reply: TMax: Still Got Pops on Decel