Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 IED

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:41 PM
monstertrippl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 IED

Installed the Nightrider kit a few days ago. Today was the first startup and ride this season. I noticed a smoother idle, and during my 60 mile loop the engine ran smother no more surging at low throttle nor deceleration popping. A very good running engine now runs even better. I never would have found this product without the information posted on this forum. Thank you all. It saved me the expense of a piggyback system or an interface or a sert or whatever.. 07 Rk SS slipons....

Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
diebolt
Cruiser
Default RE: 02 IED

Yes I agree. I went from an 01 Ultra with just the Stage 1, AC, Slip ons and download. It worked great and I didn't want to get into all the choices,options and cost that we now face with the new 07 & 08's.

Like you I followed the thread closely and decided to try them. I couldn't be happier since it was so simple and cost effective.

I do think that it was well worth the cost of the Stage 1, AC,slip on's and download to make the bike run even better.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

The IED's are an amazing little device for $69 that make an incredible difference in the way the Bike runs and feels.

The New XIED's (Extremes) are even more amazing if you can imagine that. The Test Pilots all came back with one word reports..."WOW".

Glad you are enjoying your IED's, welcome to the Nightriders IED Club.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
NightTrain08
Banned

Where do you get these xtreme ieds?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

These parts are being built by Steve at Nightriders. http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Unfortunately the Extremes will be at least one more week before being available for sale. The original IED's are currently still available.

IED's = 14.2
XIed's=13.8

Best money you can ever spend.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 AM
NightTrain08
Banned

is that 13.8 across the board? I mean if I have 2.25 rush slipons and high flow A/C would that be enough or should you still need a PCIII or sert or something.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: NightTrain08

is that 13.8 across the board? I mean if I have 2.25 rush slipons and high flow A/C would that be enough or should you still need a PCIII or sert or something.
No they are not. only in closed loop idle/cruise mode they make your afr at 14.2/14.5. But I put a set onwith a fuel pack and it worked very well. for customer of mine. The fuel pack almost does nothing for you in idle to 2000rpm. the way the are set because of epa carb and calif. but they hand shake witheach other. the 02 ieds work for cruise mode and the fuel pack works great in open loop mode wide open throttle. I hope this helps. But between 16/18 there is a 0 setting you can addsome fuel to your fuel pack at idle. HINT Hint... do not go add more than 5. If you have a afr gauge you can see how much fuel it adds. You can talk with Stephen at night rider he can help you more on the 02ieds.....

Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

Nighttrain 08:

The New XIED's (Extremes) will be coming out in about one more week.

They are programmed to run at 13.8 AFR in closed loop mode which is where you spend the majority of your time. In open loop the Fuel Injection follows it's stock map which is not where the Lean problem comes from. EPA has HD's hand tied forcing them to run in closed loop at 14.7. This is where the heat comes from. Once you hit wide open throttle your dropping into the 13's.

The Stock Delphi fuel injection is a great system. It's only because of EPA requirements that HD set them up to run lean. Steve at Nightrider recognized the problem and corrected the issue by richening up the closed loop area.

The New Extremes would be more than enough for your current set up. No additional fuel mngt products would be required.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
NightTrain08
Banned

so cruiser, let me get this straight, you are saying that all I would need would be these extreme's and would not need a fuelpak or anything? Would the bike be lean in other areas, like idle and cruising?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

It would be perfect in idling and cruising because both areas are closed loop where it would be running at 13.8. Compared to the stock settings of 14.7.

With a little experimentation you just might find you like the stock air box better. I tested both ways with an RK3909 K&N air kit vs the Stock air kit. The Bike feels stronger in low and midrange with the stock air kit. I also noted the K&N didn't make any difference in cooling the bike any more than the stock air kit.

Where your going to see some difference with the air kit is wide open throttle at higher rpm's. How much of your time do you spend there?

For $99 try the XIED. You can always add the Fuel Pack to it down the road if your not completely satisfied.

Just a side note from Steve regarding the open loop operation of our Delphi EFI.

Varies depending upon the load on the engine, but at wide open throttle the OEM AFR is 12.5:1. So even if riders install exhaust and air cleaner upgrades, this is only going to change the AFR seen at the tail pipe to 12.8-13.0:1.[/align][/align]12.5:1 is considered the best AFR for maximum HP, but 13.5:1 is considered the best for maximum torque.[/align][/align]But the OEM HD AFR is actually rich enough to for the bikes to accept many aftermarket cams and not go lean in open loop.[/align]

Quick Reply: 02 IED