Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Real world vs. dyno tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Real world vs. dyno tuning

To address the original question about tuning for your ridng style after the build, I feel the build itself, cams, heads, compression, etc, will have more to do with matching your riding style than the tune, the HD Delphi equiped bike is a load sensing system so if it is properly tuned ona dyno at various load conditions it will adapt to all riding styles, whether aggresive or mild.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

Thats simple, you weigh much more that your friend,[sm=itsok.gif] or your scared to get it on and your friend isn't,[sm=youreright.gif] or hedrinksmore than you[sm=alcoholic.gif]but the bike won without you on it ....next time trade bikes and yours will win.....[sm=goodidea.gif]

only funnin with you....take care....lol
Doc
about 20 lbs at the time ,I haven't seen him in awhile but I think he has caught and passed me in the interim,if we still had the old evos I would like to have another kick at the cat,might just be able to beat his drunken a$$.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Tbones
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Restorick - I too am old school, double nickle here and remember the days of changing out jets and looking at the spark plugs to judge what the motor was doing and just the seat of the pants feel with whatever changes I was making. Back in the day, a exhaust gas analyser told me what I needed to know for setting the carb and to a degree will still do it today with FI. It is getting difficult to do this with the new FI's and ECU's and O2 closed loop systems etc. without having 10 to 20k worth of equipment.

Dyno's will allow you to tune your bike (if you know what your doing) to the inth degree but, what degree is that? On a stock motor, the inth degree will hardly be felt in your seat. Is that inth degree worth the dollars you put out to the local dealer/shop? I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder. If spending the dollars to get peace of mind, then it's worth it. If you self tune without the dyno and like how your bike runs and your not having any problems, then I say if it ain't broke don't fix it . I just installed the V&H big shot duals, K&N high flow air filter kit and the Fuel Pak on my 07 FLHTC. Is it 100% tuned? No. Does my bike run good? Yes for what I intended for it to do. Course this is just my opinion and we all know, opinions are like arm pits, everyone has two and the both stink Cya