Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electrical SOS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Electrical SOS

When I’m riding my 03 FXDWG I occasionally feel a shock when I touch my right thumb to the button housing or when my knee is touching the tank I get the shock on my knee. It doesn’t happen all the time just occasionally, intermittent but very annoying. There is no rhyme or reason to it, just riding along and ZAPP!

I have a multi-tester with ohms meter & continuity. I checked the continuity between riser grounding wires, all around them and on different grounded components all over the bike including the button housings, all continuous, all grounded. The wires are all stock (not mucked with) and run on the outside in stock location. There’s no corrosion or grounding problems anywhere on the bike.

I pulled the seat and re-checked all the wires from front to rear with no signs of damage or shorts. The bike and all the wires are clean, corrosion free and pristine. All re-checked for continuity with multi-tester and all passed.

I removed the battery from the bike and when I check the continuity between the positive connection for the battery and various grounded components including the handlebars I get no continuity when the ignition switch is set to the Off or Accessories. When I turn to Ignition (on) I get continuity. The ignition switch is just completing the circuit right? If there was a dead short it would show up with the switch turned to accessories or even when it’s turned off. Am I right on that?

One rider offered a tip regarding static build up in my clothing but it is a pretty good zap, not like static at all. Not as bad as a coil bite but close enough to light me up when it happens.

I’m really suspect of the lighting system, button housing, regulator orthe stator due to the power of the shock. Is there any way to check them for shorts?

Thanks for any help, Bob

Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Electrical SOS

Quit wearing them ladies panties...J/K

Have you looked at the coil and plug wires? If you are getting a good snap, I doubt if the battery voltage (lights, horn etc. would do that.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: liltrk

Have you looked at the coil and plug wires? If you are getting a good snap, I doubt if the battery voltage (lights, horn etc. would do that.
+1

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: liltrk

Quit wearing them ladies panties...J/K

I did, they look great and are not touching anything. No signs of arcing, cracked wires or loose boots. Thanks, Bob