Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

.SERT difficulties - Help please(update)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .SERT difficulties - Help please(update)

I have removed the seat and connected the ECM to my laptop on three seperate occasions only to be foiled each time by some unexpected problem.

First, I found that I could not connect the interface cable to my laptop because the laptop (IBM) didn't have a serial port - it had USB connections instead. I required an adaptor, which I got from work.

Next, after getting all hooked up I found that I required drivers for the adaptor I was given at work. So, I got the proper drivers and installed them.

Finally, today I actually made it all the way to the "Program ECM" section. Each time that I attempted to retreive information from the ECM I got a message stating that the "ALDL adaptor was not responding" and to check the connections and so forth.

I'm now at a loss as to whats wrong and what to do. Any suggestions out there?

Old 02-10-2006, 09:03 PM
R Horn
Cruiser
Default RE: .SERT difficulties - Help please

Okay
this will likely still be a com port issue and possibly maybe easyer to talk you through on the phone. Otherwise go to the divice manager in windows and see what your new USB com port is? (com3 com4 com5) you must tell the SERT software what com port. For the sortware to not see the divice that means wrong or bad com port or no power to the SERT inetrface. at the DB cable that cam with the SERT that connects to the bike Pin 1 is ground and pin 9 is Ignition on power to power up the device.

Check for the com port first.

Rich
PS: let me know if you want to work this over the phone.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM
XGlide
Advanced

What R Horn said. You've got to work that out first, it might be easier finding and using a laptop with a serial port on it. Luckly, my laptop still has a serial port on it and after choosing the right comm port in the SERT program I was able to get a read from the ECM. Just be careful that you don't upload a map you don't want to.

Dave

Old 02-11-2006, 12:08 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with USB to Serial converters is they don't all support the correct baud rates. It usually takes the more expensive converters for it to work.

Personally, I would get a Serial PCMCIA card (Pc Card) for the laptop and that will give you a TRUE serial port. They can be had for about 1/2 the cost of the good USB converters and IMO work more consistently.

Something else to consider ......
There are 2 IDENTICAL connectors, one is the SERT connector and the other is some power connector. Make certain you are using the right connector.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, guys. When in ECM programming mode, there are only two comm ports available - comm 1 and comm 3. I've tried both. I only receive feedback through Comm 3, which tells me that the "ALDL Adaptor is not responding". I assume (I hate assuming) that the ALDL adaptor is the one my IT gal gave to me in order to use one of the two USB ports. Maybe its a faulty adaptor. I'm running XP, BTW, if that makes any difference.

I like Springer's suggestion about the card. I'll look into that possibility.

(Its snowing here, which means its a great day to be down in the garage tinkering with the bike!)

Old 02-11-2006, 11:15 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USBgear.com

Like $20 to adpat a USB port to serial and $60 for the PCMCIA serial adapter.

Being an IT guy, I would also recommend the PCMCIA route - using the USB requires the adapter and software and some luck if the emulation software can be configured for the SERT software.

Would also recommend that you see if you can "borrow" someone's laptop that does have a true COM port - your IT department may have a bunch of these OLD laptops just waiting for the dumster.

Good luck

THIS UNIT IS ULTRA COMPACT ADAPTER VERSION USB Gear's new This mini USB to RS-232 Plug-in Adapter is designed to make serial port expansion quick and simple. Connecting to a USB port on your Tablet PC, notebook or PC, this USB-COM Plug-in adapter instantly adds RS-232 serial communication port to your system. The product is the smallest and most flexible USB to RS-232 Plug-in Adapter. It is featured with the biggest internal FIFO, 128 byte transmit and 384 byte receive FIFO, for high-speed data transfer rate.

Plugging the mini USB-COM Plug-in Adapter to the USB 2.0 or 1.1 port, the adapter is automatically detected and installed. There are no IRQ & COM port conflicts, since the port doesnt need any additional IRQ, DMA, memory and I/O port as resources on the system.
Complete Windows XP, 2003, 2000, ME, 98/SE drivers are included. The driver is WHQL certified for Windows XP.

Features & Specifications
Adds RX-232 DB-9 port conveniently via USB connection
Installed as standard Windows COM port
Port number can be installed, or changed, to COM1/2/3/4 for Hyperterminal or to any COM port number you preferred
Full RS-232 modem data and control signals
Serial port speed up to 230K bps
RS-232 data signals: TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, RI, GND
Two LED indicators for Tx/Rx status monitoring & diagnostics
Driver CD contains complete Windows XP, 2003, 2000, ME, 98/SE drivers & user's manual More Information on USB Serial Adapters and User's Manual

USB with the simplicity of RS-232 High Speed USB Controllers for Serial and FIFO Applications Based on FTDI FT232BM High-Speed USB UART IC

THIS UNIT IS ULTRA COMPACT ADAPTER VERSION USB Gear's new This mini USB to RS-232 Plug-in Adapter is designed to make serial port expansion quick and simple. Connecting to a USB port on your Tablet PC, notebook or PC, this USB-COM Plug-in adapter instantly adds RS-232 serial communication port to your system. The product is the smallest and most flexible USB to RS-232 Plug-in Adapter. It is featured with the biggest internal FIFO, 128 byte transmit and 384 byte receive FIFO, for high-speed data transfer rate.

Plugging the mini USB-COM Plug-in Adapter to the USB 2.0 or 1.1 port, the adapter is automatically detected and installed. There are no IRQ & COM port conflicts, since the port doesnt need any additional IRQ, DMA, memory and I/O port as resources on the system.
Complete Windows XP, 2003, 2000, ME, 98/SE drivers are included. The driver is WHQL certified for Windows XP.

Features & Specifications
Adds RX-232 DB-9 port conveniently via USB connection
Installed as standard Windows COM port
Port number can be installed, or changed, to COM1/2/3/4 for Hyperterminal or to any COM port number you preferred
Full RS-232 modem data and control signals
Serial port speed up to 230K bps
RS-232 data signals: TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, RI, GND
Two LED indicators for Tx/Rx status monitoring & diagnostics
Driver CD contains complete Windows XP, 2003, 2000, ME, 98/SE drivers & user's manual More Information on USB Serial Adapters and User's Manual

USB with the simplicity of RS-232 High Speed USB Controllers for Serial and FIFO Applications Based on FTDI FT232BM High-Speed USB UART IC

Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Ebay .... do a search on PCMCIA Serial

They can be had for less than $15

Old 02-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

Are you able to choose one or the other 1 or 3 and did you have .... not being smart here the bike in the RUN position. If you just have the ignition on its not enough to make the SERT work the bike must be in the run position just don't hit the start button. Many people I know have missed this option and could have saved themselves a lot of time.

-harry

Old 02-12-2006, 03:40 PM
R Horn
Cruiser

Harry,
Good point: (ignition on & run switch on).

Old 02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, new to the business of FI ECM, (not looking to be flamed on this one). But none the less have it on my RK.

And am I correct to understand that the SERT can be done at home with a laptop computer just by connecting a DB-9 connector to the COM1 of the laptop and using HyperTerminal and connecting it to the bike with the igniton on and the run switch to run?

Quick Reply: .SERT difficulties - Help please(update)