Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

.SERT difficulties - Help please(update)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: .SERT difficulties - Help please

The SERT can be used at home and yes it can be used on a laptop OR PC. No hyperterminal, you use the SERT program. Checkout this post .. https://www.hdforums.com/m_222256/tm.htm

If you have additional question feel free to ask.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:54 PM
R Horn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SERT interface should have with it a special cable to connect the bike to the SERT interface and a regular DB9 serial cable to connect the Interface to the PC. You can then use the included Software in "Tuner Mode" for programing/Flashing or "Data Mode" for use as a scan tool. Updated CD's are available from the Dealer for $20

Rich

Old 02-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much more clear now. Thank you both for the answers.
Gary

Old 02-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Well, good question, Harry. I must admit, the manual seemed to be a bit ambigous regarding what exactly is the "ignition switch".

I tried it both ways - first with just the battery switch in the 'on' position and then with the battery switch AND the 'run' switch in the 'on' position. No joy!

Tomorrows Monday, and I'll be back in the office. I'm going to see if I can run down an older laptop first. If I can, I'll give that a go and see what happens. One of my sons works in IT at a local company. If I can ever catch up with him, maybe he has what I need. You can bet that I'll figure out something, even if its hauling my PC down into the garage! [:@]

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Thanks

Les

Old 02-13-2006, 06:05 AM
hawnstar
Cruiser

Harry-Add me to another one of those people,I wish I had read this earlier .Would have save me about an hour of time and an eternity of frustration.Now I can load my slightly modified program.Just a little fuel and a little tweak of the enleanment section.Many thanks ,Robert

Old 02-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

Hawnster glad it helped All the more reason to come here and read hehe

-harry

Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: .SERT difficulties - Help please(update)

O.K., folks, I actually had the laptop communicate with the ECM! I don't know what was different this time, but the software "talked" to the ECM.

Now, here goes the download attempt. It all begins fine, then...."Unable to install Bootloader, Quitting!" The download indicator showed 25%. WTF!

I don't know if I screwed up the ECM or not. What now?

Old 02-13-2006, 10:30 PM
R Horn
Cruiser

I have had that happen also, one thing I always do know is have the bike on a battery charger when flasher the ECU. If the Bootloader failed to load you should still be fine. Next time make sure you have a small charger on there for insurance. I usually have mine on 6 amp's.

Good Luck

Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Next time make sure you have a small charger on there for insurance. I usually have mine on 6 amp's.

I keep a battery tender attached to the bike all the time. It was still attached when I attempted the download.

My son has a Dell laptop that has a standard serial port, not just the USB connection like the POS IBM Thinkpad that I use. I think that I'll give his a try once I install the tuner program.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:11 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced

I keep a battery tender attached to the bike all the time. It was still attached when I attempted the download.

My son has a Dell laptop that has a standard serial port, not just the USB connection like the POS IBM Thinkpad that I use. I think that I'll give his a try once I install the tuner program.
Let us know how it works out for you. I think a lot of people are watching this thread to see what happens.

It's been interesting reading for me at least..

FYI - Be aware that your SERT software and the ECM become "married" once you talk to it. So you'll want to keep that laptop close by and backed up in case you need it.

Quick Reply: .SERT difficulties - Help please(update)